Strawberry Filling

Baking By Lizmybit Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm by Lizmybit

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 8

I want to do a banana cake with one layer of pastry creme filling and a separate layer of strawberry. I can't decide if it would be better to slice fresh strawberries in the cake or if I should make a fresh strawberry filling? What do people normally do?

7 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 8

I think its just personal preference. If strawberries are in season, I love to put some type of icing or cream filling first then top that with fresh strawberry slices. Yum!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 8

What if you puree' fresh strawberries, sprinkle with a little sugar and cornstarch, mix it up, wait a day or so and use that as a fresh, sweet strawberry filling?

Like Cindy said, put it on top of the buttercream icing (or whatever you use) to keep your cake from getting soggy

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 8

deedelightful and Cindy... I am sorry to jump in,but you are saying: buttercream first, strawberries on top of that second. Do I have to put buttercream again on top of strawberries, so that the top layer does not become soggy icon_confused.gif ? I have never put fruit as filling but I would like to.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
CIAO

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 8

I usually just put the buttercream (or whatever I'm in the mood for!) under the fresh fruit to stop the juices from running down into the cake. I don't worry about topping the fresh fruit with anything. Gravity will keep the cake on top from getting 'soggy'. icon_wink.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 8

icon_surprised.gif ja...ja... that is so obvious, never thought of it!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thank you!
CIAO

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

That is going to taste SO good!

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks girls! I think I will do a strawberry filling very similar to a strawberry pie...both berries and filling. I can't wait to try it. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%