Strawberry Filling

Baking By Lizmybit Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm by Lizmybit

Lizmybit Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 8

I want to do a banana cake with one layer of pastry creme filling and a separate layer of strawberry. I can't decide if it would be better to slice fresh strawberries in the cake or if I should make a fresh strawberry filling? What do people normally do?

7 replies
Cindy619 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 8

I think its just personal preference. If strawberries are in season, I love to put some type of icing or cream filling first then top that with fresh strawberry slices. Yum!

DeeDelightful Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 8

What if you puree' fresh strawberries, sprinkle with a little sugar and cornstarch, mix it up, wait a day or so and use that as a fresh, sweet strawberry filling?

Like Cindy said, put it on top of the buttercream icing (or whatever you use) to keep your cake from getting soggy

soledad Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 8

deedelightful and Cindy... I am sorry to jump in,but you are saying: buttercream first, strawberries on top of that second. Do I have to put buttercream again on top of strawberries, so that the top layer does not become soggy icon_confused.gif ? I have never put fruit as filling but I would like to.
Thank you in advance for your answer.

Cindy619 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 8

I usually just put the buttercream (or whatever I'm in the mood for!) under the fresh fruit to stop the juices from running down into the cake. I don't worry about topping the fresh fruit with anything. Gravity will keep the cake on top from getting 'soggy'. icon_wink.gif

soledad Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 8

icon_surprised.gif ja...ja... that is so obvious, never thought of it!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thank you!

DeeDelightful Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

That is going to taste SO good!

Lizmybit Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks girls! I think I will do a strawberry filling very similar to a strawberry pie...both berries and filling. I can't wait to try it. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%