Royal Icing On Cookies

Baking By proudmommaof3 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm by proudmommaof3

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 5

What is the trick to place royal icing on cookies without it running down the sides...can anybody explain what I did wrong...is there a fool proof recipe?

Thanks, Karen

4 replies
tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 5

Your royal icing probably isn't thick enough. Also, make sure that you stay on top of the cookie. If you go on the side even a little, gravity takes over. icon_smile.gif Another thing, I've been able to pick off the "drip" and it still look okay. First recommendation is play with your consistency. Think it might be too thin.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

Are you outlining your cookie first?

StefanieLRyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StefanieLRyan Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

Are you outlining your cookie first?

I use a method similar to what member globalgatherings is mentioning. I first outline my cookies with regular royal icing (thick, not thinned; the more merinque powder you use the stiffer it gets), then I thin the same royal icing and "fill-in" the outline when it has dried. Once you get the hang of using royal icing you can actually free-hand the design, but out-lining certainly helps in the beginning. Good luck!

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely add more Meringue Powder next time and OUTLINE! Great ideas for a newbie to have!

I appreciate the feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%