Question About Glucose

Baking By jennicita Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 9:38am by auzzi

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 6

I was looking for glucose here in Germany and there are so many forms, I'm just not sure what to pick.

Could somebody tell me what American glucose (the kind used in recipes here - I need it for gumpaste) is like? Is it a powder, a liquid, a syrup??? And if it's a liquid or syrup, is there any information about the percentage of glucose in the solution?

Thanks!!!

Jenny

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 6

Glucose is a thick syrup. In some recipes you can trade it out for corn syrup, not sure about gumpaste recipes though.

jennicita Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 6

That's what I thought. Rats. I was hoping I was wrong! And I can't find corn syrup here, either, so no substituting it with that. May have to order it online then.

Thanks!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 6

jennicita here is a recipe for home made corn syrup it might be worth a try!
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, dash of salt
Combine all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer & put lid on pan for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off side of pan. Uncover & cook until it reaches soft ball stage or 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir often.
Cool & store in a covered container & keep at room temperature. Will keep for about 2 months & makes about 2 cups.
Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif
Babs

jennicita Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Babs but I've tried that (sounds like the same recipe) and I ended up with lots of crystallization. Don't know what I did wrong. I'll probably just order some glucose - it's not like I need it every day. Should last me a while - I hope!

It'll probably cost me, though. Because when I put in an order, i not only get one thing but any colors I happen to be low on and other things that catch my eye! icon_wink.gif
You know how that goes!

Thanks for your help!

Jenny

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:38am
post #6 of 6

You should look for "Glukosesirup" - it is also use in home brewing and alcohol-making ..

Powdered glucose is not connected to glucose syrup - different products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%