Ribbon Border Help

Decorating By TrixieTreats Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm by TrixieTreats

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there,

I have a fondant cake in which there will be a satin ribbon border on each tier. They provided a photo (attached) of how they want the cake to look (though it is BC and they want fondant) Granted, the photo shows gift wrap ribbon rather than satin...but also uses a BC bead border in front of/below the ribbon.

Since I am doing a fondant cake with satin ribbon, would it be best to omit the bead border and allow the satin to stand alone??? or should I opt for a fondant ball/pearl border to avoid the grease mark issue with the BC against the ribbon???

What do you think, do I need the added border?
LL

7 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 8

What about using white chocolate instead of buttercream?

TrixieTreats Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 8

oooooohhhhhh! I like that idea...like a whipped white chocolate ganache? or what are you thinking...

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 8

how about buying some pearl trim and placing in front of the ribbon rather than doing any piping at all - gives the same effect, easier to attach and no stains possible icon_smile.gif

TrixieTreats Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 8

Ya know, I definitely thought about that...and as I think about it more, I think that would look more modern and clean. Maybe I will go with a chunkier pearl string than what is shown in the photo, and allow that to sit along the bottom as the border....

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

Is this cake a gift? If not I would ask he couple ordering the cake if they want just ribbon without the pearl border or if they want it with the pearl border. Leaving the choice of having that border or not to them IMO would leave less room for them to be disappointed or find fault with the final product. If they choose to go with the border then you can use your decorators discretion to pick the medium you will make the border out of. Can't wait to see what you go with icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 8

yeah good idea definitely check with them first though - best to cover all angles but give them option of a pearl string

TrixieTreats Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all soooooo much for your input. They actually have left it up to me to make any adjustments I see fit. Thank you for the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%