How Do You Store Your Fondant Covered Cookies?

Baking By GinaGGG Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm by Phyllis52

GinaGGG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaGGG Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 12

I kept a few stacked in a container last night but they started to get sticky as fondant does and the bottom one got a little smushed. Do you not stack them? Keep them in a shirt box? How about once they are bagged? Do they get mushy (both cookie and fondant) then?

Thanks!!

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 12

I always keep them in single layers on cooling racks, when left out over night I will put the stack of cooling racks into a box or put something (small table) over top of the stack of cooling racks and drape a cloth or plastic over the whole thing. You don't want them airtight, just safe from bugs, dust, hair, etc. that could be flying around in the air!

When I package them for delivery I put them in a bakery box (if they're not individually wrapped) and then lay a sheet of parchment/wax paper over top and add another layer, and continue...but they must be kept in a cool environment (not fridge) somewhere around 70 degrees is usually perfect.

HTH

GinaGGG Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks sooo much!!! icon_smile.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

I do the same as KHalstead. However you can package cookies as soon as the fondant is set on them.

GinaGGG Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 12

Does the fondant not get mushy inside a baggy? I was thinking of packaging individually as favors. Or are you meaning package inside a box?

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 12

I have never had the fondant get mushy in the bag. I let my fondant air dry until its sturdy enough to handle (about ten minutes). Then the cookies go into individual bags and then in a box.

I have some display cookies left over from a few orders that are on a display stand that sits near the window. Its been a two summers and they have not been affected.

GinaGGG Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 12

Great ~ thanks again!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 12

KHalstead -

How long before delivery do you box your fondant covered cookies? Do you treat individually packaged cookies different than in a box (I mean, as for a different time frame).

Thanks.

Phyllis

KHalstead Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 12

I usually let my cookies "air dry" on the cooling racks inside a big box for 24hrs. before packaging individually just to ensure they don't "sweat" inside the bags. It's most important that they're kept in "room temp." conditions (around 70 degrees F), anything cooler and you could get condensation, anything warmer and you can also get condensation. I hate summer!

I usually give myself an extra day if the cookies are individually wrapped, meaning...I let them dry 24 hrs. then bag them and tag them and then deliver the next day. If they're just in a bakery box between sheets of parchment I let them sit 24hrs. then box and deliver.

Phyllis52 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:25am
post #10 of 12

Thanks, KHalstead - what's the earliest you have packaged the cookies before delivery?

KHalstead Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 12

I've packaged them 5 days before delivery before and they were perfect, but again they were kept at around 70 degrees. If you have a lot of fluxuations (sp?) in the temps that is when you get problems!

Phyllis52 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 12

Forgot to say thank you Khalstead! That's just what I was looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%