Clean Up

Decorating By k-loveevents Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm by online_annie

k-loveevents Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

I don't know if any one else has this problem but it seems that no matter how well I dust or oil or anything else my counters before working with fondant I end up with little sticky fondant pieces stuck to my counter. So this weekend my husband came up with a brilliant idea! He brought me a 6" putty knife from the local hardware store to scrape my counters with inbetween working with different colors of fondant and after finishing my cake to clean up. It works great for cleaning up and can be washed in the dishwasher (I HATE doing dishes... God made dishwashers and I am not one!). So hope this helps some neat freak out there who is relentlessly scrubing their counters trying to get fondant and powdered sugar and cornstarch and cocoa powder of their counters. Happy cleaning thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
DebbyJG Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 6

Four words: Atecco Blue Fondant Mat.

It's amazing. It's huge, silicone, nothing sticks to it and I don't have to dry out my fondant with powdered sugar or cornstarch anymore before rolling out.

shelbycompany Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 6

I hate cleaning up little pirces of fondant too. I did however take the advice of fellow CCr's and I went to the fabric store (actually Hobby Lobby) and purchased a yard of the clear vinyl (sp?) used for covering couches and stuff. I cut it into smaller pieces and I lay that down on my counter when working with fondant. Nothing sticks to it. I don't even have to put crisco or powdered sugar or anything on it to keep fondant and gumpaste from sticking. I also saved myself $30 by not purchasing the blue alteco mat and just use the vinyl to lift up and drape fondant over my cakes. I paid $3 for the yard.

Just thought I would share icon_smile.gif

karabeal Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

And you can use your putty knife (or bench scraper which is also made for the purpose of scraping counters) for smoothing the sides of your cakes. It's a two-fer! thumbs_up.gif

DebbyJG Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbycompany

I hate cleaning up little pirces of fondant too. I did however take the advice of fellow CCr's and I went to the fabric store (actually Hobby Lobby) and purchased a yard of the clear vinyl (sp?) used for covering couches and stuff. I cut it into smaller pieces and I lay that down on my counter when working with fondant. Nothing sticks to it. I don't even have to put crisco or powdered sugar or anything on it to keep fondant and gumpaste from sticking. I also saved myself $30 by not purchasing the blue alteco mat and just use the vinyl to lift up and drape fondant over my cakes. I paid $3 for the yard.

Just thought I would share icon_smile.gif

When I went looking for vinyl before getting the blue Atecco mat, all they had was vinyl for upholstery, so it was backed with canvas/fabric and EXTREMELY heavy. I did try to use it though, and my fondant stuck to it just as badly as the counter top. That's when I decided to order the blue mat. I'm glad you've found one that worked though!! icon_smile.gif

online_annie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 6

I went for the clear vinyl sold at walmart in their fabric section. Only cost $2 per yard and it's 60" long. LOVE IT! I never use my ATECO Mat anymore. I suggest going with the vinyl as well. It's also great for hosting classes, very cost effective. I can protect the surfaces, they roll up and clean up easily. Each student has their own work surface and no one makes a mess with cornstarch! Highly Recommended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%