Help With This Cake How Is It Done

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 12:31am by Lucy0618

Lucy0618 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

I received a groom that wants to surprise his bride with this cake but I have no idea where to begin to do it, any ideas will be truly appreciated thanks!
LL

7 replies
sweetcakes2825 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 8

beautiful cake when you find out can you pm me how to do it as well!!

Chasey Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 8

Does he want it in buttercream or fondant?

Just by reading threads around here, apparently Edna has a buttercream pleat tutorial in one of the latest issues of the CC magazine?

Maybe you can start with a search on that and also on pleating fondant. I am just assuming that is the question you have on where to begin!

dchockeyguy Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 8

I can't tell for sure, but those may be individual pleats, not one big pleat. I am pretty sure there was just a discussion on a very similar cake here recently.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 8

It looks like fondant to me and as here in the UK very rarely use just bc for icing cakes i'd be more inclined to do the pleats in fondant. I mix the fondant with a little flower paste so that it gives it a bit more stretch without breaking for doing pleats. I'm wondering if a whole piece of fondant is draped over first and teased into pleats rather than a layer of fondant underneath then the pleats put on separately?

kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 8

I blew up the pic. As it get bigger, it loses clarity but........
I agree w/dchockeyguy. The slightly pleated fondant covered cake tiers are placed on a cake plate no more than 1" larger than the cake - probably the same size and then flowers are placed between the tiers. Most likely the space between the tiers is no more than 2" which would be just a nice sized rose (or similar flower) to fit into.

.......whole piece of fondant is draped over first and teased into pleats....
Yes, that's what I see. OR the cake may have fat lines (open coupler/no tip) lines of b'cream then the fondant placed over it. I've done that for doll skirts and pumpkins icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 8

There is another forum on this exact same cake, maybe it will help....or maybe you can PM to OP on that one and see if she did it.... icon_smile.gif HTH
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6888732-.html#6888732

Lucy0618 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 8

Yes I will be usingfondant I am going to try to use sections rather than the whole fondant?? Any thoughts

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%