How To Save Figures

Decorating By LadyKinster Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 6:32am by LadyKinster

LadyKinster Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 3

A couple of friends I've made cakes for want to keep the gumpaste figures I've made (lily for one and ballet slippers for another.). How do they keep them without them going bad? Would these items eventually get too brittle and fall apart or even spoil?
Any suggestions would be great.
TIA

2 replies
bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:09am
post #2 of 3

I have some in a cardboard box, and they have been there for over 3 mo., hmmm. Yes, they do get brittle but i tasted and they are fine. I read an article about GP or fandant used with cornstarch and that there was some sort of chemical reaction. No proof or data, just suggesting it by the taste of stuff made like so, so I ran to my stash of bows, flowers, dots, etc. and tasted them...they were fine, and even tasted better than when fresh. More Like candy. Candy corn is a type of fondant. I think that stuff last forever....lol. Not sure how long mine would, but don't think i would keep too long, thinking how old mine are getting. I like to have emergency deco on hand, but the real goal is to offer and make the best product I can...which would be fresh(er).

LadyKinster Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:32am
post #3 of 3

Ya, I've kept extra flowers on hand for last minute cakes as well. However, they don't want to save them to eat later, they want to keep them forever as keepsakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%