Black Piping On White Buttercream...help!

Decorating By kseevers Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 2:01am by Bakingangel

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:20am
post #1 of 11

I have a cake coming up and the bride wants black piping detail on white buttercream cake. I have piped on fondant before, but not with dark colors onto white buttercream. It is a white chocolate ganache buttercream that has a slight crusting.

Is it best to use royal icing? Will it bleed onto buttercream? Will it stay in place if I use a softer, yet slightly crusting buttercream? Help!!

Thank you for any advice!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:33am
post #2 of 11

I piped black on white frequently. The key is to make sure your icing is pretty crusted. Bleeding is caused when moisture mixes with moisture. When I pipe a black crusting BC onto the top of an already-crusted white BC, there isn't any moisture on the surface of the white BC to pull the moisture from the black BC.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408039

(The writing on the side is black BC on this one ----> ) http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1371608

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300981

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:04am
post #3 of 11

There is a post on here that talks about using chefmaster coloring instead of instead of americolor. The person that posted it said they had talked to chefmaster and they said their colors do not bleed. I do not know for a fact have not tried it but I did use chefmaster last week on a cake for the first time and was impressed how vibrant the color was.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 11

I did a cake recently that was really dark purple piping on white buttercream - it worked fine doing what indydebi posted above. I let the icing crust really well before doing the piping, there were even a couple of spots where I messed up, and carefully lifted off the piping without leaving a trace. The dark purple was buttercream too, just thinned out some.

Here is a link to the cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1759545

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 11

Can you then put it back in the fridge with no problems ?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 11

I don't ever refrigerate cakes, so that is not a problem for me. I am thinking condensation would be a problem with the black piping.

kseevers Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks a bunch to all of you!

My other question was about the refridgeration after ice it. If I iced it with the white buttercream and then pipe it later, do you put the iced cake in the refridgerator to set up before you pipe it?

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 11

where do you find chefmaster ?

kseevers Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:56am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelove

I looked at the Chefmaster website, but the ordering page isnt working So I did a search and actually found it on Amazon.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:10am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseevers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelove

I looked at the Chefmaster website, but the ordering page isnt working So I did a search and actually found it on Amazon.

You can order it from www.Oasisupply.com
(Oasis Supply . com)

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #11 of 11

Loucinda, what a beautiful cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%