Great Recipe But I Need Help Converting It.. Please

Baking By bmoser24 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm by bmoser24

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 9

I tried and it came out pretty good. I would like to see if someone else can convert. And, can a sub sour cream for butter milk? Would it be better for a denser cake?
TY

The Best Chocolate Cake

developed my Chef Bob Vaningan www.chefbob.com

4 # sugar

2# cake flour

12 ounces cocoa powder (25%)

3 Tablespoons Bake powder

1 Tablespoon Bake Soda

1 Tablespoon salt (heap slightly)

...................sift twice through medium mesh.

24 ounces eggs

2 cups buttermilk

5 cups oil

.....................add and begin mixing on 1st speed with wire whip.

5 cups boiling water

add slowly then scrape bowl and whip then continue on 2nd speed for 2-3 minutes. Batter will be runny. Parchment lined 1/2 shhet pans scale out 4-5 cups per pan bake 350 for 15-18 min.

8 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 9

Convert how?

bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:56am
post #3 of 9

Well for one, I don't think my little 4.5 KA can whip up that batch...and I dont have a scale handy. So...if anyone can and will, I would appreciate your help.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:34am
post #4 of 9

I think this is what you are looking for:

2 lb sugar = 4 1/2 cups

4 lb cake four = 8 cups sifted. or 6 2/3 cups unsifted.

24 oz of eggs (whole) = approx. 14 large whole eggs.

12 oz of cocoa = 1 1/2 cup cocoa

Hope this answers your question. icon_biggrin.gif

if you notice on that recipe, it makes 1/2 sheet pans. You can always divide the recipe in half to make a smaller batch to fit in your kA. thumbs_up.gif

bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I think this is what you are looking for:

2 lb sugar = 4 1/2 cups

4 lb cake four = 8 cups sifted. or 6 2/3 cups unsifted.

24 oz of eggs (whole) = approx. 14 large whole eggs.

12 oz of cocoa = 1 1/2 cup cocoa

Hope this answers your question. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, but my concern is the weight. I read somewhere that it doesn't translate exactly into capacity measurements. I believe I remember that like...a cup of sugar weighed 7 oz., and flour even less, alot less... guess I was wondering if any weight bakers has those conversions?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9

There is probably a website you can plug these numbers into.

bmoser24 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

There is probably a website you can plug these numbers into.

Yup, thought that too. Most are standard, not baking.If you find something please share. I just found out that 4 oz. of cocoa is 2 cups! wow.... I need to find THIS kind of info. Still hoing there are some big batch bakers out there, who can shed some light. icon_biggrin.gif
~Blessings

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 9

The conversions will be based on if the item is measured in fluid ounces or ounces by weight. For example liquids are measured in fluid ounces. You would not measure ounces of cocoa powder in a liquid measuring cup. For that you would need a small kitchen scale to measure by weight. Things like flour and cocoa can and do have very different volumes depending on how they are handled. For example if they are sifted they will take up a larger volume. If they arepacked they will take up less volume. Always best to measure

Are you looking for someone to add this all up to find out if it will fit into your kitchenaid bowl? I'd say look at some of the ingredients to guessimate that. I don't think 4lbs of sugar, 24 eggs and 12 cups of liquid will fit into a 4.5qt bowl. Depending on the recipe you might be able to simply half the all of the ingredients, but it still seems like that will be way too much. Some recipes need adjustments when halving, doubling, tripling, etc. Hopefully someone who has more scratch baking experience can help?

bmoser24 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

. Some recipes need adjustments when halving, doubling, tripling, etc. Hopefully someone who has more scratch baking experience can help?

exactly....please help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%