Does Anyone Stack Then Ice

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm by jenmat

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #1 of 16

It seems like I saw a sped-up version of someone doing this. Do any of you fill, stack and then ice and decorate your cakes? I don't want to try it on a customer's cake, but it seems like it might be a little easier not to mess up your cake, but it might be a bit tricky!

15 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 16

No, never. I always ice then stack. Now I might add decoration after icing that needs to match up or touch the other tier perfectly.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #3 of 16

The middle of each of the bottom tiers would have no icing on top. No, I wouldn't stack then ice; half the guests (or more!) would be short on delicious, delicious icing!

makeminepink Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #4 of 16

just a thought icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 16

I say try torting, filling, then ice just the tops of each layer, then stack and ice the sides and decorate. Let us know how it turns out for you. I am all about experimenting. You wont know unless you try it.

I usually ice all my cakes then stack. Then decorate the whole cake. I dont know how people decorate each layer, then stack them without messing them up. icon_lol.gif So give it a try. Just remember to put the icing on the top of each layer.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 16

I don't stack until all tiers are iced and decorated. I too would question doing it the other way around? I understand the need to line things up but you gotta have icing on top of each tier...right?!? : )

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 16

Big "no" at this end, too.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 16

Nope can't say I've ever tried that. I usually tort, ice then stack then decorate. If you try it, let us know how that worked out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 16

No. I honestly don't see where it would save a lot of time.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #10 of 16

Nope

tuamor1628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuamor1628 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 16

You can stack and then ice, only problem is some people wind up having buldges from the icing/frosting and if your using fondant any cake bulges will definately show.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 16

I know a decorator who does this and she is really good. She is also really busy. She fills, puts a little icing on top of each tier then stacks. Her's always come out beautiful.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 16

The only time I do that is when it's a large carved cake, then I fill, crumb coat and stack all pieces, carve and then ice the whole thing as a whole. But definitely not when working with a normal round/square tiered cake.......that would cause me WAY more stress, I can imagine trying to ice one layer while destroying the previous perfectly iced layer! AGH

makeminepink Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 16

Hey! Thanks for responding! I knew someone out there does! I still haven't tried it, but need to!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 16

I did this on my first cake, before I knew not too...OOPS!!!! And it was really hard to smooth the sides of the top teir without messing up the top of the bottom teir. The whole time I was thinking, "This has to be wrong. How do they do this???" icon_smile.gif

Anyway, give it a try and see how it works for you.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 16

Torte, fill, ice, let set, stack, then decorate.

Would love to see the website of this lady who ices after stacking. Just out of curiosity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%