Fondant Rose Help Needed Asap!

Decorating By chefdot Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm by chefdot

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 8

So I need to make about 50 roses from fondant for next weekend's wedding cake and I haven't done them before. Have a few questions:

1. I don't have gumpaste but I have red fondant and I thought you could add gumtex to it to make it more like gumpaste and harden faster... but not sure how much and how to even use gumtex.

2. Should I make the rosebud cones first and let them dry overnight to be able to apply the petals easier? I am using the 5 petal cutter.

3. I have flower wire that is covered in like a green fabric of some sort. Any pointers on how to make the rosebud cones stay on the wires, especially if I hang them upside down to dry?

Of course any other pointers would be greatly appreciated too!

7 replies
KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 8

If you go to articles and then to gumpaste flowers there is a great tutorial on how to make 5 petal roses

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 8

1. Yes gumtex added to fondant will make gumpaste. Add about 1 tsp/ pound
2/3. Make the cones, heat the slightly bent upper edge of the wire in a candle and stick into the cone. The heat of the wire melts the gumpaste and when it cools it is stuck together. Allow to dry overnight.

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 8

I used fondant before and didn't work in roses. It is a little heavier. I will use gumpaste very thin and paint it or dust it.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 8

I have only used gumpaste & fondant.. or just gumpaste for my flowers.
I would make the bud base(cone) the night before with gumtex/fondant mix..
I've tried to make it the day of once, and it just didn't work lol... icon_razz.gif for me anyways

Get a spaghetti stick(instead of wire) and a styrofoam cup...
Dip one end of our spaghetti sick in a edible glue base - then into your flower bud!
Stick dry end of spaghetti in your upside down styrofoam cup(s) and it should be dry the next day to complete your roses!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #6 of 8

To save on weight (and time) you can use styrofoam cones as the base. I buy the little styrofoam balls and just smash one end to make them a cone shape. (Michaels, HL, Joanns all carry them) I also just use gumpaste - you can roll it thinner and dries quicker. Watch the you tube videos, tonedna has some great ones that will help you. You better get busy with that many to make. thumbs_up.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #7 of 8

Thanks dsilvest, just learned something new! I usually make a fondant glue by nuking (microwaving) a little water with some fondant. All of the flowers I've made so far are fondant. Used gumpaste without much success, the gumpaste dried out too fast. I will try heating the wires. I first learn to make roses from tonedna, she has a great tutorial, she even reviewed on one of the forums here how to make a rose using the 5-petal cutter I do believe to show how to close the center petals so that the cone would not show. Best wishes on the flowers! They will turn out great. Review the tutorials and practice on a few flowers.
Hamsquad

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I have watched the tutorials over and over. I am just stressing if they're gonna dry quick enough for this Saturday and in this humidity too! Ugh!
Guess I will be making the buds tonight and starting the roses tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%