My Dog Almost Got Run Over Tonight!

Lounge By Kellbella Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm by Kellbella

Kellbella Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #1 of 13

I'm still sick to my stomach over what I saw. I let my 2 dogs, both under 15 pounds, out the garage to go potty and didn't realize my hubby was backing up in his Ford F-250 truck, he had just gotten home, but I didn't realize this.

In the blink of an eye, Rocco, my little Shih-tzu ran under the truck and was pinned between the tire and driveway. I was screaming for my hubby to stop and praise the Lord, he stopped and went forward to release Rocco. He was up and walking around, but shaking, probably due to my hysterical crying. After a trip to the ER, he seems to be suffering from a slight "road rash" to the inside of one of his hind legs and lower abdomen.

I hope we can sleep tonight, but I have a feeling I will be up every hour checking on him icon_wink.gif It's so frightening how quickly things can go so horribly, horribly wrong...don't take things for granted and to those of you who have pets, give them extra kisses tonight thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
Loucinda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #2 of 13

That had to be absolutely terrifyiing for all of you. I am glad your little one wasn't hurt badly.

Kellbella Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 13

It was horrible to see, I still can't get that picture out of my head. Thankfully, he's eating well this am and going potty like he should, he's just walking a little funny because of the burns. Thanks for your concern. icon_smile.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 13

Glad to hear he's doing well. I hope you are too icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 13

How frightening! I am glad to hear that the dog is doing better......hope that you can relax/get some rest!

tesso Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 13

I am so sorry !!! And so happy that he is okay !!! I cant begin to imagine your stress. send a ((hug)) to you and rocco.

Kellbella Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 13

Thank you all sooo much for the kind words and hugs. He's starting to get back to his old self....tail wagging and barking. His little wounds are going to take about a week to heal according to the vet, so he has to wear a collar around his neck to keep him from licking his wounds...he looks so pitiful, but at least he's alive and well. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 13

So glad your dog is doing better--they're so much a part of the family.

Kellbella Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 13
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

So glad your dog is doing better--they're so much a part of the family.

Yes, they are!! I can't have any children, so they are my "kids" icon_smile.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:44am
post #10 of 13

Poor baby! I have two little dogs. A white pekingese, and a mixed breed. All my children are grown, so my dogs are my babies. I don't know what I would do without them. I hope you all get over this soon.
ps. iluvpeeks is for Duncan, my pekingese!

paula1234 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #11 of 13

I know exactly how you feel. I have a miniature black and tan dachshund, a wired haired dachshund, a bishon frise. and a half dalmatian and half bird dog, which we found him lying in the middle of our road almost 3 years ago when he was about 3 months old. all of our dogs live in the house. I walk them every day. They go to the dog park where they can run free. One day our front door didn't get closed all the way while we were carrying groceries in and the wind blew the door open and all 4 dogs were out the door in a heart beat. we dropped everything. had one son grab the little ones, while me and another son went after scooter, he's the one we found in the road. Talk about being scared, they rerouted traffic toward our house for construction and there were cars every 5 seconds going by. He ran passed my aunts house to another neighbors house, which were new, had not met them yet. Scooter is about 5 feet from the road with cars zooming by, by this time I am on the ground crying my son has just caught up with me, then scooter, comes running to the neighbors house, I turn around and look and she has 2 dachshunds that are out, they hear all the commotion, and scooter goes to the little puppies and puts his mouth on them and holds them there, the lady kinda freaks out, she was afraid that scooter was going to kill her dogs. My son, caught scooter, carried him home, while I explained to her that scooter would not hurt her dogs that he did that to all small dogs when they are outside, he thinks they shouldn't be out without a harness or leash. he just puts his mouth there to hold them there until we can get them. she thought that was funny. I don't think my heart started again for an hour. Scooter used to go out by himself about 2 years ago. He cut an artery, tendon, and a ligament on his hind leg and almost bled to death, had to have surgery and blood transfusions. My sons told me they would have hated to see me when they were little if I acted like this over dogs. So I just remind my youngest son, that they may have run out the door, but I didn't have to call 911 to get one of them removed from the air vent, because they dropped their pacifier down it and went after it and got stuck

debbief Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 13

I'm so glad everything is ok and Rocco didn't suffer any major injuries. Maybe just enough to make him a little more cautious. Hopefully you're feeling better now too. It's hard to calm down after something like that happens.

We had a Norwegian Elkhound hit by a car a few years ago. Rushed him to the vet but he didn't make it. It was very sad icon_sad.gif

Kellbella Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 13

We are ALL more cautious after what happened thumbs_up.gif I'm sorry to hear about your dog though icon_cry.gif , they are part of the family, no matter what some people may say!

Quote by @%username% on %date%