Gaining Weight From My New Caking Hobby

Lounge By kger Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 3:29am by Rachie204

kger Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't yet visited the Weight thread, but I lost 20 lbs between Feb and June. Then I started heavily caking and I'm up 10 lbs in 6 weeks.

Do I stop caking, or do I just need to find my sea legs? I have been experimenting with recipes, so I have to taste things, but my problem with sugar does not allow me to stop with just 1 bite or 1 piece of cake. I have a serious problem with sugar so I thought I should just stop caking altogether. It's like taking a recovering alcoholic to work in a bar and I just need to avoid all temptation. But a friend said, if you enjoy it so much, why would you want to quit? Which is true. I do enjoy it. But I also enjoyed it when my pants weren't tight.

How do you guys deal with this? I wish there were an anti-sugar/nausea inducing pill so I would become desensitized to wanting to stuff my face with cake.

5 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 6

I baked for over 20 years, eating my mistakes and watching my family and myself get heavier. We all finally got sick of cake and never eat it anymore. However, because of my weight gain and lack of exercise, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last summer. I've gotten active and lost 95 lbs since then, my labs are all normal and I am not on any diabetes meds. Now I just taste a tiny bite to make sure everything is flavored/baked properly.

Consider this a cautionary tale.

Just stop eating it.

You can shape your future.

kger Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

Anna, that's so awesome! I'm a big proponent of low-sugar eating, but I just really like doing cakes. I'm either going to have to stop or limit myself to like, 1/month or will need to create a niche market with low sugar/low fat cakes. I think if the bulk of the decorations are fondant and not buttercream, ppl with special dietary restrictions can just peel off the fondant and enjoy a light, low-sugar cake underneath. I also can't save cake scraps in the freezer with the intention of one day making cake balls, cuz when I get the craving, I head straight for the freezer. Same with the BC. It's in the freezer and I think I need to get rid of all my homemade bc and just keep the commercial red.

Honestly, I wish there was some kind mind trick/hypnosis thing that would make me feel nauseated at the thought of eating flour, butter, and sugar. Like the way I want to gag when I think about eating beans. Ugh!

poohsmomma Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 6

I chew gum while I bake and decorate. Something very pepperminty. Keeps me from wanting to taste.
I put on 30 pounds when I started decorating cakes again. I've taken it off, and I plan to keep it off!

kger Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #5 of 6

Good idea, poohsmama!

Rachie204 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

how do I deal with this?.....Well honestly I don't eat when I am actually working on a cake. Not intentionally, I actually try to eat at least every 4 hours to keep my metabolism up, however when I am caking I get so into it I can't seem to find time to stop and eat anything. I have been known to stand in the kitchen working on cakes from 10am-11pm without putting anything in my mouth.

However I usually try out recipes for my family first...which means temptation. I made a carrot cake this week and kept 1/4 of it for our home and divided the rest between my parents and grandparents house. There are four of us so 1/4 of a cake divided by four doesn't leave me too much to eat.

There have been times I have done the "taste and spit" ...and I find that if you workout regularly a little bite here and there won't kill you either.

Whatever you do don't quit if you really love caking....

Quote by @%username% on %date%