Just Made Mmf, Going To Try My First Fondant Cake Tommorow

Decorating By au_decorator_76 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm by au_decorator_76

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

I also made Indydebi's BC too and it's really delicious but it's awfully sweet so I'll probably add some salt tomorrow when I mix it again.

I liked the taste of MMF so I'm looking forward to trying to cover a cake with it tomorrow. I've made decorations but never covered a cake so this will be an adventure. I'll make sure to post pictures but if anyone has any post covering suggestions I'd appreciate it. I've read through a lot of the tutorials and watched videos so I hope I've gotten a lot of good tips though that.

My question is... all I have is a wooden old fashioned rolling pin. Do I need to spend the money on the big wilton rolling pin? Or will my wooden one be ok? I assume I need to grease it down good right?

Thanks!

5 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 6

You do not need the large rolling pin - I have covered cakes in fondant with a reg. size rolling pin. But I have practiced with the large Wilton one, and it makes life a lot easier(for me) I will def. buy one in the future.

Yes... you will def. have to grease your counter or mat. Make sure to lift your fondant to avoid it sticking to the counter.. a thin layer of crisco all over your counter to ensure it won't stick!!

I have only made two fondant cakes - but I think its so much easier then buttercream.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:12am
post #3 of 6

Have fun I think of it as adult play dough!! icon_biggrin.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 6

I have read on CC that pvc pipe can be substituted for the long rolling pin, it would be very cheap.

I have found if you add 8 oz of cream cheese to Indeydebi's BC it is much less sweet and none of my tasters could detect the taste of the cream cheese (dd was really hoping for the taste of the cream cheese and ds was so hoping he could not taste it!). I have also done the cream cheese version and then added 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate (melted and slightly cooled) to it and it is phenomenal!

edited to correct spelling.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

Good luck and post a pic when your done! icon_biggrin.gif

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks!! I'm about to get started on it now. icon_smile.gif

It really is like playing with playdough. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%