Cake Mix Warning: A Must Read

Decorating By Yorkiemum Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 12:52am by redpanda

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 8

Subject: Cake Mixes &Toxins- ** PLEASE READ ** Pass this on to ALL in your address book. You never know whose life you may save by doing so. For those of you at work, PLEASE remember to check your cupboards when you get home tonight!!!

This is confirmed on Snopes http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

A student at HBHS (high school) had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake &cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

Some one else wrote: Before my surgery I bought quite a few Duncan Hines cakes mixes that were on sale. A couple of months ago I decide to use one, I checked the expiration date and found it past, all the boxes were passed the expiration date. I phoned Duncan Hines to ask if the one that was only two months passed if it was OK. She told me in no uncertain words to throw them all out, she even said to open the boxes and throw the mix in the garbage, just in case someone picked it up and used it

7 replies
Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 8

Thanks for passing this on!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 8

Be sure you read the entire article at snopes.com before believing this. There are several factors - mixes that are sealed in plastic or wax bags and haven't been opened are not affected.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

this has been posted a few times.... please search it up.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 8

YEARS old story.

If you're allergic to mold, keep an eye on anything 'pre'-mixed - cake mix, pancake mix etc.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 8

duplicate post, sorry

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 8

Sorry all. I did't know it was old. A friend sent it to me. I looked at some of the mixes I have and even though I bought them recently, they are old. I am trashing them. I have seen too much mold in too many things lately. To be on the safe side, mine are going in the bin.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 8

Just a note to anyone with mold allergies...there isn't anything "magical" about mixes that would make them more likely to harbor mold. In fact, plain flour, if not properly stored can support mold growth, as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%