Golden Rule For How Many Dowels In Each Tier?

Decorating By tonyas_jewels Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm by tonyas_jewels

tonyas_jewels Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my sis inlaws wedding cake for this weekend.. it is 14" 12" 10" 8" all 4" high........how many dowels in each tier would you put? I bought plastic and wooden dowels i will be cutting down to size....and putting a long dowel thru the center......I have stacked cakes befor never had any problems with how i did them, but i am getting nervous with the things i have been reading on here the last month about disasters!!! icon_sad.gif

I will be transporting the cake about 25 miles in the back of my suburban, I just want it to be perfect..lol

Thanks so much for any advise you can give me!!

3 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 4

If you're transporting a 5-tier stacked cake, (1) be sure your vehicle is tall enough that the cake will fit (2) be sure you can lift it. That's going to be one heavy cake!!

For 5 tiers, I put the wilton plastic hollow tubes in the bottom cake. 4, maybe 5 (depending on my mood! icon_biggrin.gif ). I'd put 5 in the next tier up, then 4 in all remaining tiers.

You're going to get a lot of different viewpoints on this one. There is no one right or wrong answer. Different things work for different people.

I discourage the use of the old wives tale of "1 dowel for every inch of cake" though. I have cut a cake where the baker did this and the cake was a freakin' mess to cut! It turns the cake into swiss cheese, damaging the structural integrity of the cake. Crumbly and crumbs everywhere! Couldnt' get a nice looking cut piece of cake. Just a freakin' mess! I was cussing the whole time! Having successfully used 4 dowels in most of my cakes over the decades, I can assure you that this many dowels is overkill.

Ironically, the same baker did an R2D2 grooms cake .... 4 or 5 layers of cake with NO boards and NO dowels at all!

Needless to say, I never referred any overflow work to this person! icon_mad.gif

kelleym Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 4

I always heard one dowel for every 2" of cake. As far as I know, that was the rule of thumb for skinny wooden dowels. For the hollow plastic kind (which I VASTLY prefer - those or SPS), you can do with less.

tonyas_jewels Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the help! it is only 4 tiers high, so i have plenty of room in the back of my suburban as far as height goes...it is a hexagon shape, not sure if that makes a difference or not?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%