Making My Icing Sit Flat

Decorating By Ybird Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm by Ybird

Ybird Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, i have a christing cake to do which is going to be made in a book shape tin. I was wondering how i put my roll out icing on to make sure it sits flat and dosnt crease on the corners?

6 replies
lynndy-lou Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 7

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 7

I like to use a hot knife, and just found a new technique (use a high density roller) used for painting walls. lol If you google 'high density roller buttercream' it will bring you to the tutorial on cake central!

Ybird Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 7

Thankyou both for your help and input, i seem to beable to do round cakes fine but always have a odd bit on a square cake that i have to fold in somewhere as i end up with a crease on the last side where all the icing has ended up there. after watching the youtube video it has really helped me, think i just need to purchase a cake flattner now for after.

Thanks again

allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Ybird, I was always taught to smooth each of the corners first on fondant and do the sides last. that way it stops a lot of the folding you are talking about. I love the smoothers called "edgers" they do a range that can tackle corners, curves, give sharp top edges, rounded top edges. Not sure if they do them in the US but check them out if you can http://www.edgers.co.uk/. They give a really clean finish to cakes and even do a smoother that will smooth the sides and board in one!

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry.. I thought you meant how to get your icing flat icon_razz.gif

Ybird Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 7

Hi thanks again for some more helpfull information, im from the uk (somerset) so i will have a look on the site for edgers sounds like they could be a big help.

I think another problem may be that i dont put enuf buttercream over my cake aswell, as i usully put a thin layer over the whole lot but watching the food network challenge when they are doing cakes they seem to have a nice thick layer of cream over the cake first before placing the icing on.

thanks again x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%