Sharon Zambito. Which Dvd To Buy First?

Decorating By bakencake Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm by sweetiesbykim

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

I have heard great things about her DVD's and I would like to buy all and probably will but can only afford one at a time. which one should I buy first? should I get the Back to Basics first or should I get Perfecting The Art Of Butter Cream? If I buy one do I need to buy the other? I would think that maybe some of the info would overlap?

5 replies
Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure where to tell you to start with Sharon's DVD's. I have them all and they do not overlap.

Her latest one Back to Basics is great for learning what kind of pans to use, how to prepare them, how to level and tort them, making sure the oven is functioning right, actually making the WASC cake, making her smooth buttercream icing, and making a desert cake (different than a decorated cake).

Her first one that came out was the Successful Art of Buttercream. If you want to learn how to decorate a cake with perfectly smooth bc, this is the best one. She gives techniques for doing a round and square cake.

Her sheetcake dvd is great because it also teaches a lot of extra decorating techniques (transfers, flooding, air brushing, etc.) Excellent dvd.

If you plan on making lots of stacked cakes, then her stacking dvd is, in my opinion, the best!

If covering cakes in fondant is going to be your thing, then her fondant dvd is great. Jennifer Dontz also has a great dvd out.

Everything you ever need to know to do Topsy Turvey cakes, she covers in a dvd. Step by step how to carve, stack, and decorate one. Fabulous dvd!

If you ever are interested in gumpast flowers, Edna De la Cruz has some fantastic tutorials on You Tube and also has two dvd's out.

You have to decide what you need help with the most.

Good luck. You came to the right place to learn about the world of cake and cookie decorating. Have fun on your journey!

icon_smile.gif

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 6

I dont know which one to get first but I decided to get the buttercream one. My sister just got it for me for my bday (2 months ago) and it arrived on Saturday!! Cant wait to watch it tomorrow!! WOOHOO~!!!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 6

If you order directly from Sharon at www.sugaredproductions.com you'll have it within a few days. She also sells the basic tools you will need so check it out too.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

which one should I buy first?

All of them! I have no self-control. Seriously though, they all provide such valuable and different information that it depends entirely on your needs. I love the buttercream one and I can't wait to get the back to basics DVD.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 6

I have all of them too, and love each one for different reasons, just like children, I guess!!
My first one I bought was the basic fondant DVD, and the second was the perfecting buttercream DVD. BOTH are necessities in my book!! You will learn the basics through advanced techniques of leveling cakes and trimming to start with even surfaces, getting a PERFECT buttercream finish (and I mean PERFECT!), and covering different sizes and shapes of cakes with fondant. She doesn't skip over or edit much of anything in her DVD collection, so you're not left with "wait, how did she get to this point?".

I don't have the newest one yet, but I for sure will add that to my collection. Just when you think you know all there is to know, her next DVD just floors you with new techniques!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%