Spaghetti Cake

Decorating By Jesshibb129 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 2:06am by JenniferCote

Jesshibb129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesshibb129 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone! I am going to be making a spaghetti cake for my son's 5th birthday coming up on August 9th. I was wondering what colors do I use to get the "pasta" color for the noodles? Any other tips and suggestions for the cake would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

21 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 22

Well, I'd say ivory.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 22

I put vanilla extract in regular buttercream, and it made a good color for spaghetti.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 22

I'd say all butter buttercream.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 22

hi there, if you are adding cherry pie filling for the sauce, i would make the noodles out of creamcheese buttercream, its fantastic!! yum yum!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 22

I made the spaghetti and meatballs from Hello, Cupcake and this is how I did it. on my vanilla frosting (they say to use 1 can ,10oz,) i added 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 drops of yellow food coloring. Since I make my own frosting I eyed the amount of cocoa powder and food coloring. The color was spot on!!! go here
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources/lifestyle_community/food/restaurants&id=6124949

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 22

I just made one last night. Just posted the pic! I made a butter cream/cream cheese mixture, then I added a tub of 'Philly' cheese-cake filling ( sold in a large tub, pre-made for cheese cake, it has a very nice shade of color). It made a great color I think. If it's too white for you still yet, you can add a tiny bit bit of yellow color.

bakencake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 22
Jesshibb129 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 22

Thank you all soooo very much! I really appreciate all your input icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 22

I did one a while back, but I think I made the noodles too dark . Meatballs are Ferrero Rocher chocolates covered in strawberry sauce. White flakes is grated white chocolate. Used the grass tip for the spaghetti
LL

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 22

For mine, I used butter buttercream and a tiny drop of yellow liquid food coloring. I used strawberry icecream sauce for the sauce, but it was a little..off. I'm not sure what would have been better. Also, two people noted (family members) that my noodles looked more like ramen then spaghetti, but I think they looked just fine.

icon_smile.gif
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1357690.html

cutthecake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #13 of 22

I used a bigger opening than the grass tip--maybe a 6. **Carpal tunnel alert!

Jesshibb129 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 22

I would love to use the candies for meatballs, but my oldest child is allergic to nuts icon_sad.gif So I will be trying to make them out of brownies. As for the cake, what size did everyone use? What would be best? Thanks again for your input icon_biggrin.gif

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 22

What about cake balls (not covered in melted chocolate) for meatballs? You could vary the size of the cake from a small plate of pasta to a big platter depending upon how many people you need to serve.

Good luck!

cutthecake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 22

I baked it in an aluminum lasagne pan, and left it in the pan, so it would look like a dish at a buffet or barbecue. It made it that much easier.

Jesshibb129 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

What about cake balls (not covered in melted chocolate) for meatballs? You could vary the size of the cake from a small plate of pasta to a big platter depending upon how many people you need to serve.

Good luck!

Thank you! I will definitely do cake balls for the meatballs! I'm also thinking of using an 8" pan.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:38am
post #18 of 22

I have some garlic bread cake to go with your spaghetti cake!!!
My spaghetti cakes( two different ones ) are also in my photos!
These are always fun!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178610

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #19 of 22

To get a more realistic looking "pasta sauce" I add some orange color to the strawberry/raspberry filling that goes on top. It changes the color just enough from the wrong red to the right one.

Jesshibb129 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #20 of 22

OMGosh! I LOVE all these ideas!!!!!!!!! So I think I am going to make it in an aluminum pan, with cake balls for meatballs, and a side of garlic bread. Thanks you all so very much!!!!!!

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:00pm
post #21 of 22

I used a dot or two of yellow and a dot of brown in cream cheese frosting for mine.. Also, my meatballs are just cake balls.. I crumble up some cake, mix in the frosting, add some brown and a tad of red and form...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1681590

JenniferCote Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferCote Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:06am
post #22 of 22

I noticed someone had posted a link to my page. I feel honored icon_smile.gif
But it's true, check this out: You can make your own frosting, perfectly colored, and it won't have those weird artificial ingredients in it either. Like mentioned, it's at my pccuisine site. But basically, to make the frosting, do this: Microwave 1 minute or so: > 2 sticks (1 c.) butter

To melted butter, add and microwave 1 minute more, to get soft: > 8 oz. room temperature cream cheese > 1 tsp. vanilla > several drops yellow food coloring

To a mixing bowl, add: > 2 1/2 lb. (about 8 1/2 c.) confectioner's sugar

Add to the confectioner's sugar in bowl: > The melted butter/softened cream cheese/vanilla/yellow food coloring

Beat all frosting ingredients, slowly at first, then on higher speed until creamy and smooth. If necessary, add a bit more yellow, to make a "noodle" color frosting. Spoon the frosting into a zip-lock bag. Cut a small hole out of one corner, and start piping the frosting out, like a small pile of noodles. Refrigerate some to firm up frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%