Emergency Coloring Issue For Tomorrow Cake!! What Can I Do??

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm by Bskinne

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:55am
post #1 of 25

I just realized as I am making the fondant for a cake for tomorrow that I do not have enough red to make the fondant red. And it's 2 am here, and tomorrow is Sunday (everything opens late), so I am kinda screwed. Can I use candy melt red in the fondant or will that mess it up?

24 replies
frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 25

do you have any 24 hour grocery stores or stores around?

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:02am
post #3 of 25

Yeah, but all they will have is the McCormicks crap, is that going to work???

frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 25

oh i dont know. ive only used the gel stuff. I know some of the grocery stores here carry a limited selection of wilton cake/cupcake type supplies. Usually in the kitchen isle. lol

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:09am
post #5 of 25

you don't have a 24 hour Walmart nearby? You could use the candy melts but I don't think that's going to make it that red. Do you have any red koolaid? I have heard of coloring things with that...maybe even crystal light would work icon_confused.gif

if you do anything just try a little bit of fondant with whatever you use. HTH

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:12am
post #6 of 25

I have a little bit of red, I just already know it's not enough. Maybe with that and what color melt color I have it will work...I just don't want it to break down the fondant. And believe it or not, there are no 24 hour Walmarts in Metro Atlanta.

frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:15am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I have a little bit of red, I just already know it's not enough. Maybe with that and what color melt color I have it will work...I just don't want it to break down the fondant. And believe it or not, there are no 24 hour Walmarts in Metro Atlanta.

I was just looking that up because I was going to ask if there was any.

The kool aid would leave a flavor though wouldnt it? I would try a small sample amount with the candy melts to see if it works first...

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:17am
post #8 of 25

Michael's opens at 10, the cake is due at noon, but the chick was already calling me tonight asking me if it was done, so I won't be surprised if she tries to come early. I swear, this is my next to last cake, I am going back to corporate America. **sighs**

frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:19am
post #9 of 25

do your walmarts open sooner than 10? The ones here are open but 8 at the earliest I think, even on sundays. Normally 7 weekdays..

Site to store hours on walmart in atlanta seems to be 8. Maybe that can work.

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:23am
post #10 of 25
Quote:

opps...now I know where you are icon_lol.gif use to live in GA.

how much fondant are you coloring? you may want to try what you have for now.

yes, kool aid would give a little bit of a bitter taste too it, could probably add some more flavoring or PS to the mix if that was the case. it's always worth a try icon_lol.gif most of the people I know don't even touch the fondant on my cakes icon_razz.gif

frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:25am
post #11 of 25

Hope you get this all figured out ^__^

I need to stop eating grapes and get to bed. haha

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:32am
post #12 of 25

May just be time to pull out the magic markers. LOL The delirium is talking, now.

bchumley Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:39am
post #13 of 25

Don't know if it would work on your design, but what if you went ahead and covered the cake tonight, then got the Wilton airbrush-in-a-can color in the morning? At least you wouldn't be rushing to color & cover in the morning...

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:39am
post #14 of 25
Quote:

May just be time to pull out the magic markers. LOL The delirium is talking, now.

ooohhh i knooow the feeling icon_lol.gif good luck!

karabeal Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:43am
post #15 of 25

Or you could try red Jello. I recall someone else saying they added red Jello to fondant . . . but it might have been homemade. Not sure what kind you have. Good luck!

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:52am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchumley

Don't know if it would work on your design, but what if you went ahead and covered the cake tonight, then got the Wilton airbrush-in-a-can color in the morning? At least you wouldn't be rushing to color & cover in the morning...

I know one of the specialty cake store isn't open on Sundays, I'm sure the Nicholas Lodge store isn't open (welcome to the bible belt), and Michael's sucks a big fat one, I know the two around my house don't carry that. thumbsdown.gif

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:57am
post #17 of 25

So (because I know you guys are all so interested lol) I got a little ball colored semi-red. I'm hoping it reddens up a little bit more. The cake is covered in red and has black flames with red centers going up the sides. So maybe I will have enough to cover the top and can just cover enough so the flames will cover up the lack of fondant all the way down. It's going to be a long night. Or maybe I'll just go to bed. icon_razz.gif

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #18 of 25

how did it turn out!? I bet you're working on it right now...unless the lady has already showed up at your door demanding a cake icon_lol.gif

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks for all your help! I got it done!
LL

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #20 of 25

WOW! That is red! it turned out great! what did she say? icon_wink.gif

sorry to seem naive icon_lol.gif I see a 38 in there, what is the other part? icon_lol.gif sorry I don't get it.

did you sculpt this!? awesome work! thumbs_up.gif

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #21 of 25

Yes, I did sculpt it. Don't worry, I don't get it either...I guess it's the guy's nickname (it's a birthday cake) and it is Lil 38, and she wanted the "Lil" all connecting like that. She has seen a pic, I am still doing flames on the backside, and I told her I ran out of them and was a little behind schedule, told her 12:30, and she came back and said she loved it, and she wouldn't be here until 1 or 1:30. Whew! Since she's going to be late, I think I might do some chocolate covered strawberries around it, the cake is butter cake with strawberry filling. I am so happy right now that there isn't a crisis! The guy at Michaels was laughing at me this morning because I was waiting at the door when they opened..."what's the crafting emergency"....I didn't even respond, just ran to the cake aisle! LOL

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #22 of 25

ohhhh...I see it now! icon_lol.gif

well, good thing everything worked out and she was later than expected!

I've also had to be at the craft store when it opened icon_wink.gif kudos to you icon_biggrin.gif

frogcooke Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 25

yay! you got the cake done!

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 25

Yeah, and now it looks like she's a no-show...why would you pay a deposit and not show up?

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #25 of 25

Ok, update, she showed up, 3 hours late, but loved the cake. I ended up painting the whole red part in red disco dust, it certainly was red! Thanks, everyone, for the support and advice last night. It kept me somewhat sane. icon_smile.gif I really do appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%