stacey71 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of

Strictly speaking cupcakes, what is your favorite vanilla box mix and why? I did try the doctored method for a box mix and was unimpressed. So I'd like to try a couple of mixes just as they are out of the box.

Stacey

36 replies
cheriej Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of

I usually make my cupcakes from scratch but if you want to use a mix, undoctored, then I would recommend Duncan Hines for a grocery store mix. I find DH is more fluffy and better tasting than either Betty Crocker or Pillsbury. If you want to spend more, then the mixes by Ad Hoc, of Thomas Keller fame, are really exceptional in my opinion - with the price to boot.

CrumblesConfections Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of

I usually take a white cake mix and add flavoring to it. For instance, tonight I'm working on a practice cake and I made if from white BC super moist cake mix and I added 2 fresh bananas to each batch and it's absolutely delish! The banana is not overpowering, giving it a slight banana bread taste. Since I really don't like plain white cake, I always try to add something to it to give it a different flavor unless the project is for a plain white cake. There are so many things you can do with cake mix though. I personally prefer DH cake mix but since BC was one sale, that's what I bought. You just have to try until you come up with something you like. This mix would make great cupcakes though.

sweet_teeth Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of

I prefer duncan hines, big time. I think they taste better AND I like that they are consistently less clumpy. .. which makes them MUCH easier to sift.

VentureSister Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #5 of

Definitely Duncan Hines.

AnotherCreation Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of

Duncan Hines as well icon_smile.gif

sweet56pooh Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:40am
post #7 of

Ditto on Duncan Hines!

doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:35am
post #8 of

Die hard DH fan here!

stacey71 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #9 of

Thanks all,
I will definitely try the DH icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm

The whole topic is subject to personal preference. Something is only "the best" in one's opinion. I've used Betty Crocker for 30 years because I find DH too "fluffy" for a good sturdy cake. and when I'm flipping 14" cakes, I need firm and sturdy, not light and fluffy.

All cake mixes can be used for cupcakes, so the final choice is just personal preference.

It's funny because I can relate to a previous post on here. I can tell a DH cake a mile away because of the yucky "chemical" taste in it. I don't taste it in BC. But I'm sure it's all because of what I'm used to and my personal preference and not because one is "the best" over the other.

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:43pm

I buy whatever is on sale!
I have never really noticed a huge difference in taste, but am def. going to see which brand holds up best now for carving... Fluffy carved cakes = danger icon_razz.gif

lisascakes Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm

I agree with Indidebi - BC all the way - I have been using BC for over 20 years.

MommaDukes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:35am

I have always used DH Butter Recipe until lately.
I now use Betty Crocker and doctor it. It's better then DH and cost less too.

And of course the only BC recipe I use is IndyDebi, my family RAVES about it, they eat it out of the bowl and complain if I don't leave enough for "licking the bowl"

I shop at Publix, but I stopped in Walmart on way home from work one day.
The cake mixes were 1/2 the price they are at Publix! So, I stock up when I go to WallyWorld.

indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:38am
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

The cake mixes were 1/2 the price they are at Publix!


You can ask walmart to order you 1 or more cases of cake mix. They'll happily do it for you. (Less work for them .... they don't have to fill the shelves just to have me come along and take them all OFF the shelf! icon_lol.gif )

mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm

I prefer DH or BC. I don't like PB.

southernswthrt Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:13am

I've been experimenting with all 3 main brands, buying what's on sale! I can tell you that I used to believe that DH was the best (my Grandmother won't use anything else) before I started cake decorating a year ago...now I prefer PB and BC. My family says my best cakes are the ones with PB (cheapest)...go figure!

dguerrant Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:02am

ripple ripple ripple.... causing some waves here...

I LOVE ME SOME PILSBURY!!!!!

I have been using them for nearly 10 years and on the rare occassion that there is a shortage in town, closest wal-mart 35 miles), i have had to use other brands which have failed miserably!!!! i too indydebi have had that weird chemically strange taste and i thought it was just me.

countrygirll Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm

I have to agree with indydebi, I too have noticed that flipping DH cakes is a bit harder because they are more fluffy. I recently bought BC cake mix at Walmart and have gotten rave reviews on the just the plain cake mix---never mind when I doctored it up. Thank you indydebi for the tip of ordering cake mix--good to know!!!

tokazodo Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm

I had made a statement here on the boards about a month ago about preferring PB to DH. I was having issues with DH. I felt like I had started CAKE WARS!
There's one thing I can say about us cakers, we def are a passionate group when it comes to what we believe in!

Personally, I'm loving the Dough Boy! PB and BC have been working for me.
I'm wondering if the water in different parts of the country, and climate has anything to do with cake mix formulas. I know that when I apprenticed in a bakery in NJ I was told we couldn't get the same product as in NY because of the water. It kind of makes sense.

Just sayin'

Joyfull4444 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm

Duncan Hines for me too. I don't make the full extended recipe for cupcakes though. For cupcakes its 1 box DH, 1/2 box instant pudding, 4 eggs, 1 cup water or milk, 1/3 cup oil, & 1 tsp vanilla.

Was given the formula from a fellow decorator when I first started out.
If I'm making chocolate cupcakes, I use chocolate fudge pudding, and chocolate milk for the liquid. I also add a blob of Hersheys chocolate syrup to boost up the flavour even more. My grandkids love them!

selahmycat Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm

After trying all of the name brands, I have found I love Aldi's brand best, and you can't beat the price!

Btrfly578 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm

I'm just starting out, and I was wondering about the different brands as well. I usually buy cakes from Publix for family gatherings.

cakesdivine Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's funny because I can relate to a previous post on here. I can tell a DH cake a mile away because of the yucky "chemical" taste in it. I don't taste it in BC. But I'm sure it's all because of what I'm used to and my personal preference and not because one is "the best" over the other.




Ok debi I am sorry but DH has absolutely no preservatives in it so absolutely NO chemical taste can be present. I think BC has a bad aftertaste, and is way too sweet and has no depth of flavor to it. It also does not yield as much batter as DH probably because there is less mix in the box than DH. If you are tasting something chemical then the maker spilled something in it or added extracts to the mix. Too much extract will leave a chemical aftertaste.

cakesdivine Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I had made a statement here on the boards about a month ago about preferring PB to DH. I was having issues with DH. I felt like I had started CAKE WARS!
There's one thing I can say about us cakers, we def are a passionate group when it comes to what we believe in!

Personally, I'm loving the Dough Boy! PB and BC have been working for me.
I'm wondering if the water in different parts of the country, and climate has anything to do with cake mix formulas. I know that when I apprenticed in a bakery in NJ I was told we couldn't get the same product as in NY because of the water. It kind of makes sense.

Just sayin'




You know what, I never thought about that. It could be a water thing. So to correct that I guess one would use bottled water exclusively. PB is my second choice after DH. Won't do a BC to me they are flat in taste, texture, and volume. Way too sweet.

Joyfull4444 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I had made a statement here on the boards about a month ago about preferring PB to DH. I was having issues with DH. I felt like I had started CAKE WARS!
There's one thing I can say about us cakers, we def are a passionate group when it comes to what we believe in!

Personally, I'm loving the Dough Boy! PB and BC have been working for me.
I'm wondering if the water in different parts of the country, and climate has anything to do with cake mix formulas. I know that when I apprenticed in a bakery in NJ I was told we couldn't get the same product as in NY because of the water. It kind of makes sense.

Just sayin'



You know what, I never thought about that. It could be a water thing. So to correct that I guess one would use bottled water exclusively. PB is my second choice after DH. Won't do a BC to me they are flat in taste, texture, and volume. Way too sweet.





I've never used water in my cake mix, but what you say about water makes a lot of sense. I've been on vacation in places I'd not drink the water if you paid me. You can smell the excess chlorine & god Knows what else, as soon as you turn on the tap.

jdelaney81 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:52pm

I must say that I like Pilsbury the best. And it is the one I get the most compliments on too. But, no matter the mix, I always "doctor" it up.

Creativebakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm

I love PB its so moist!

tmelrose Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:10pm

I love the PB doughboy too!

mjandros Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm

IMHO - BC all the way!! thumbs_up.gif I have NEVER had a complaint - everyone always says how moist it is. I find it very easy to work with - flips out of the pan with no issues and hardly leaves any crumbs when cutting to size. I recently made PB funfetti cake and found it just as easy to work with as BC. I used DH thumbsdown.gif a few years ago and had nothing but problems working with it. icon_cry.gif Like a few posters have said - everyone has their own preference and different climates will produce a different product. This is what works for me and I'm sticking with it. icon_smile.gif

BoLeggs79 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm

I have always used Duncan Hines, I made a cake today Betty Crocker, I added a couple spoonfulls of McCormick Vanilla Butternut Flavoring and the cake was wonderful, moist soft and flavorful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%