Dc Cupcakes.... I Actually Like It!

Lounge By CrumblesConfections Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm by LindaF144a

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 16

Ok, I have to confess that I actually like this show. I heard them calling the lady "mommy" but it didn't bother me so much. It does seem a little scripted but I actually find it quite enjoyable. Although I must say that I've only watched 2 episodes that I recorded. Sorry guys.

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 16

There has been a few threads already started about such show...The consensus is most think it is hokey and not worth their time in watching...That's great if you like as there is always something learned from any of the shows I think!! I'm not crazy about it but I still watch for the tips etc...

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

There has been a few threads already started about such show...The consensus is most think it is hokey and not worth their time in watching...That's great if you like as there is always something learned from any of the shows I think!! I'm not crazy about it but I still watch for the tips etc...

That's my sentiment exactly. I only watch to see what I can learn, not really interested in all the made up drama.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 16

Is picking on the young guys the new trend on baking shows? Buddy and his cronies always pick on the delivery guys, and now DC Cupcake featured fake-looking drama about rotten strawberries, and a commercial with more of the same to come.
Stick to baking, forget about "acting".

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 16

What gets me is that they expect people to believe that A) they can come in and give me the recipe they want me to bake - um no sorry do it yourself then, B) they wait until the DAY BEFORE to try out said recipes- idiots C) again they wait until the DAY BEFORE the wedding to bake, and decorate 50 mini cakes and barely get it done - plan ahead!

Yeah I'm not a fan can you tell LOL

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

What gets me is that they expect people to believe that A) they can come in and give me the recipe they want me to bake - um no sorry do it yourself then, B) they wait until the DAY BEFORE to try out said recipes- idiots C) again they wait until the DAY BEFORE the wedding to bake, and decorate 50 mini cakes and barely get it done - plan ahead!

Yeah I'm not a fan can you tell LOL

thumbs_up.gif couldn't agree with you more. I decided to watch this past weeks episode and give it yet another chance but man is that show scripted. I almost feel like they are insulting my intelligence by thinking they can make us believe that all those things happen at a snap of a finger.
Then all the random stuff that comes up in a day like the rotten strawberries..tinting the icing wrong on the bouquet cupcakes. Come on...while i was watching the show i was predicting what was gonna happen. They really need to drop the bad acting and just make cupcakes.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 16

Ditto! I just posted something on my FB wall about how ridiculous this show is, but allegedly the cupcakes are just outta this world, so I'm planning to get some this week. I will report back on my visit.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Ditto! I just posted something on my FB wall about how ridiculous this show is, but allegedly the cupcakes are just outta this world, so I'm planning to get some this week. I will report back on my visit.

Oooh yes please do report back. I have to know how good they are since the girls are twits!

kger Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 16

Ok, I'm back! I've have now eaten 3 G-town Cupcakes and I have 4 more sitting on my counter that I will have to ration slowly.

The bottom line: It's a very moist cupcake with a whipped all-butter buttercream ( I think). It's very good baking, I must say. And they are delicious. But worth an hour wait in line? Heck no. But if I had a special occasion, then I would more than likely choose this place for the baked goods.

I didn't see the twit girls in the store. (And I realized they talk like Romy and Michelle). There was a huge line even before they opened, but they were mostly tourists. I ordered online yesterday for an 11am pickup for today, so we could skip the line and go right to the front. I was immediately annoyed because we arrived right at 11 and the cupcakes weren't boxed. Apparently, scheduling an 11am pickup means you're supposed to pick them up AFTER 11am because they don't box them until them. So we had to wait a little bit.

ALSO, if you follow them on twitter, around 10am they publish a "free secret flavor" which isn't on the menu, but if you mention the secret flavor, you get the free cupcake. This is only available until they run out and they only make 100 or so. So, today's secret flavor is Peanut Butter Fudge. Chocolate cake, ganache filling, whipped PB BC. The filling made it fall apart.

The others I have had this morning are salted caramel and lemon blossom. Both very good. The ones waiting on the counter are red velvet, chocolate3, chocolate birthday, and coconut. And here's a recipe that the Post published:
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/11/05/chocolate-squared-cupcakes/

I wonder what makes them so moist? Is it the special butter? I'm going to try this recipe in cake form at some point and see how it turns out.

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 16

Post a pic! I believe they've said publicly that they use a cream cheese frosting. I am a little floored that they were gonna fire the strawberry kid but the girl who started a fire while texting on the job was getting a free pass. *eye roll* Anyway I too watch the background of the show for ingredients/tools, etc. I liked how they show the grid way they make murals but don't believe for one second that double sided tape will hold a cupcake on anything!

kger Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 16

The only cream cheese I could taste was in the red velvet (so much for rationing). I tasted just a bit of cocoa in that one. Maybe they add a touch of cream cheese to the vanilla BC for substance, but it's nothing that I tasted. I also just ate the coconut. I think I detect a hint of banana in it. It's definitely the driest of the bunch, but that's because there's coconut in the batter. My least favorite.

Something I don't understand: as a homebaker, you're supposed to label everything. Why do bakeries not have to do that? Then I could analyze the ingredients.

I'm down 5 cupcakes, 2 to go. I'll try to remember to photograph them when I delve in.

Oh, and don't believe a thing you see on that show. It's so scripted. And why did strawberry boy get like, a leading role on his first day on the job? There are a TON of people working in that shop. One person is designated to manage the line. Next time I pass by, I'll go stand in front of the window and watch the kitchen. I had my little ones with me, so I had to kind of run in and run out.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

The only cream cheese I could taste was in the red velvet (so much for rationing). I tasted just a bit of cocoa in that one. Maybe they add a touch of cream cheese to the vanilla BC for substance, but it's nothing that I tasted. I also just ate the coconut. I think I detect a hint of banana in it. It's definitely the driest of the bunch, but that's because there's coconut in the batter. My least favorite.

Something I don't understand: as a homebaker, you're supposed to label everything. Why do bakeries not have to do that? Then I could analyze the ingredients.

I'm down 5 cupcakes, 2 to go. I'll try to remember to photograph them when I delve in.

Oh, and don't believe a thing you see on that show. It's so scripted. And why did strawberry boy get like, a leading role on his first day on the job? There are a TON of people working in that shop. One person is designated to manage the line. Next time I pass by, I'll go stand in front of the window and watch the kitchen. I had my little ones with me, so I had to kind of run in and run out.

kger -

Did you get the frosting they use on the their Chocolate2 cupcake? It is described as a whipped Callebaut chocolate frosting. It is the darkest chocolate frosting I've seen so far. I'm trying to replicate it. Did they put cream cheese in that frosting.

So far, I think it is a a ganache based frosting withe sugar added. I tried making one like this and it was that dark until I added butter. Then it lightened up. I think cream cheese would do the same thing too.

I don't think it is whipped ganache only because whipped ganache is much harder and lighter when it hardens. At least the one time I tried whipping ganache that is what it did. And I have seen lots of photos of the same thing I got online.

I would love to hear your opinion about this frosting. I might even go so far as to order some cupcakes just so I can taste this one, but at about $55.00 for four cupcakes I am a wee bit hesitant. I wonder why..... icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

kger Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 16

I only had the chocolate3 and I can't remember how that frosting is described. It's really nothing extraordinary, so I wouldn't order any unless you REALLY REALLY must try them. But I had a cupcake in a bar last night, and I told the bartender I thought they were as good as G-Town CC, and he said, "I think they're even better." And they make them in-house. I also have a few cc connoisseur friends who think there are better local shops than G-town CC. It's just hype, for some reason. If I go there again, I'll try the chocolate2.

LindaF144a Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks. It's not so much that is has to be the flavor or Georgetown frosting, I'm just trying to find a dark frosting that is rich, smooth, shiny and lighter than whipped ganache.

Maybe the bar should open a cupcakery! icon_wink.gif

We have a local person here who opened a cupcakery and I do not like her cupcakes. I can't understand the hype. I am seriously considering going into business selling my cupcakes cause they sure are better than hers!

kger Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #15 of 16

There are a couple of big hits in the DC area. One is called Lavender Moon, they are all organic and use strange ingredients, like lavender and thyme, but they are apparently phenomenal, but I can't seem to find a website. Another one is called Baked & Wired, which is near Georgetown CC. Haven't been there. And Cake Love is on my hit list for the next week or 2. I'll report on that.

LindaF144a Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 16

kger - Thanks for your research. It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it. icon_wink.gif

I have the book by Cakelove and have made some of the cakes. His butter cakes are dense, but delicious. My family loves them. They are constantly asking me to make those cakes. I would be very curious to get there and have me some Cakelove cake made by them.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%