Best Way To Dam A Shaped Cake?

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 1:21am by Bskinne

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

So, I'm working on this cake right now. It's going to spell out the nickname of the person who it's for, "Lil 38". And the Lil is all connected and overlapping in the design (hard to explain). So part of it I made a 8" square, the numbers will be shaped out of two small oval cakes. I am about to fill them (they are torted but still whole) because I thought that would be easiest. So I almost started damming it(or damning it, lol) because the filling is strawberry and kinda runny. But then I realized if I do that, then cut the letters out, I'm going to have a mess....Any suggestions on how to do this?

5 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 6

Cut the shapes, then fill and dam. thumbs_up.gif

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 6

Yeah, I just came back to the post to explain why that will be kinda hard to do - the letters aren't going to be super big, so when I dam it's going to end up being a lot of buttercream and not a lot of filling.

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 6

And I think they will end up being super fragile because it's already torted and will be cut super small....

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

Hmmmm.

Any way you'd be able to skip the strawberry filling in the delicate areas and just use buttercream there?
OH! What if you mix the strawberry filling (jam?) into your buttercream and use that to fill the numbers? If you get the right balance, you wouldn't need a dam.

Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 6

Hmmmm...well, the strawberry filling is already made, and I went ahead and made the cuts. I guess I will just freeze it for a few and pray that it doesn't fall to pieces....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%