Need Some Advice Please?

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm by sweetheart6710

jenscreativity Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 5

SO, lately this past month, I uped my prices quite a bit! I use to charge for a 8" about $30 for a semi-detailed cake and now I charge $45 for that. I had a request last night for a 2 tiered cake, feeding 20-30 ppl, along with them wanting a smash cake alongside for baby. I attached the picture below for you. BUt she wants this to feed 20-30 pp which are bigger size round cakes and due to extra supplies, fondant and work it entails, I charged her $92 and $8 for this cake she wanted. Can you please tell me if I'm charging too high here in California or not? I've been getting a lot of requests, but no one can afford my prices now. My profits, IF i were to sell my higher price cake, would entail around $40. Before it was like $25-30. So frustrated because now I haven't gotten any orders, my name is out there, and I miss doing cakes! Can someone please guide me?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
cakesbyleila Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

I live in Texas and my minimun for a 6 and 8 inch stacked is 100 although it helps that I use all natural ingredients and bake my cake from scratch. My price goes up with added fondant details and such. I lived in Cali for a few years and I do not think you price is too steep at all.

DeezTreatz Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 5

I charge about the same for an 8" (just buttercream) - it serves about 15 people..
And I charge double that price for fondant...
I feel the right way to charge for me is per slice. and extra for figures, and special orders/details!

I read an article... and depending where you live, your skill etc..
Buttercream starts from $1-7 a slice and fondant $4-10 a slice

Its so confusing.. and I wonder about the cakeboss software - has anyone used it?

jenscreativity Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 5

WOW! AND WHAT'S WEIRD IS THAT PEOPLE TELL ME I'M CHEAP, YET ONCE PRICES WENT UP, THEY WERE LIKE NO WAY. I EVEN HAD SOME OF THEM WHY I WAS SO SHORT. AND I GOT MY NAME OUT THERE AND THAT WAS THE REASONING WHY I DID. SO, I'M ONLY HOPING SOMEONE WILL COME ALONG AND PAY THE MONEY I DESERVE INTO MAKING THESE CREATTIONS FOR THEM. THANKS SO MUCH!

sweetheart6710 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

Trust me, you don't want to be labeled as the 'cheap baker'. I know people like a low price tag, but when I look for a 'custom service' I avoid the real cheapy people because I don't want my order to look or be cheap. Make sure you are following the industry standard(ish) per slice, and even if business is slow now, it will pick up with the type of paying clients that you will want to keep for future orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%