Struggling With Words

Business By abunintheoven Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm by IsaSW

abunintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abunintheoven Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

I live in an are of ohio that I sell wedding cakes for $2 per slice for buttercream to give you an idea. I do a lot of other cake requests but it seems that everyone wants sheet cakes. Not that I don't like them but when they give me the information about that event I have so many other wonderful ideas other than a sheet cake....this also means that it would cost more than a sheet cake which people around here do not budge on that. Once a lady contacted me for the popular 2 tier minnie mouse fondant covered cake and i was going to do it for only $100 and she thought it was a ridiculous price. I get very frustrated with people's reactions to prices. Anyway, has anyone had any experience in the wording that I should use to introduce a different cake idea but indeed will cost more money in the end for the customer??? thank you!

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

I use words like "more impressive" and "bigger impact" to get my point across. I want them to know that together the customer and I can design something that will "wow!" the guests and thus make the extra expense (compared to a chain store bakery) well worth it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

"Are you looking for a run of the mill, just like everyone else type of cake? Or are you looking for an OMG That Is Awesome! type of cake?"

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

Debi does it againicon_smile.gif She can always say just the right thing, just the right way icon_smile.gif

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5

I just read in another thread a lady saying: who knew sheet cake could be that fun!
She was talking about Sharon Zambito DVD on sheet cakes.
I wanted to order a DVD to help me with the buttercream. And read here in Cake Central how helpful her DVDs were. They convinced me.
I saw the sheet cake she has on the cover and liked the edge of it. If you can create out of this world sheet cakes you might be able to provide what your client want and are willing to pay.
I can't wait to get my DVDs. I might buy the sheet cakes after that.
Maybe its not what you say what your words, but if you show samples of just any sheetcake you can get at Costco and then you show your sheet cakes. They might get the concept.
I believe an image tells more than thousands words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%