Need Help With A Customer Please!!

Business By cakertainment Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 12:03pm by CanadianCakeDiva

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 10

I made a cake for a woman who found me online. It was for her daughter's sweet 16 and they wanted a luau cake. I followed their specifications except some of the flowers were lighter in color and I used fondant writer which was not as pretty as piping. The cake over all was adorable and I know it tasted great. I used dowels and I explained everything such as the dowels and lollipop sticks that were in the cake for support and decorations. It was for 20-25 people and I charged 50.00. Later that day I emailed her and thanked her for business and to see how everything went and I got returned mail saying they refused or blocked my email! I want to call but I was not sure.....what is everyone's opinion on this?? I know I cant make everyone happy but the cake was good...help...thanks!

9 replies
kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 10

I would not read anything into it. Sometimes people only allow certain emails into their box. They may have done so because of excessive spam. I was wondering, when the cake was picked up did she complain about the piping?

cakertainment Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 10

I dropped the cake off to her and she did not say a thing....she said it looked cute and I did not get any bad feedback. I just worry since I am new at my business. Thanks so much for replys!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 10

If she wants to complain she'll call you directly to do it. Don't worry about it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 10

"No News is Good News" so I say she liked it.I also never follow up and call to see if they liked it because I feel that it makes a person look insecure and looking for compliments but it also opens up the doors for the customer to tell you everything they didn't like about the cake! etc...etc...

Trust me...you will know if they are not happy..They will contact you.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 10

Using lollipop sticks as support for a cake is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd rethink that and at least use the big bubble straws. Just for future reference. There are lots of threads on here about supports (and support accidents).

I wouldn't worry about not hearing from your customer. No news is good news. Not every customer is as effusive as you'd like them to be about your creations.

cakertainment Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone!! The lollipop sticks were in the palm trees I made not in the actual cake. Thanks for letting me know though about other ways of support. icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:19am
post #8 of 10

When you were finalizing the cake design did the contract cake have piping or fondant pen writing on it? I just wonder, because the 2 are not even close in appearence.
The flowers were not what she ordered either.
I would think at the minimum she should have recived a phone call from you before the delivery with a heads up that the cake she was getting was not the one that was ordered.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:54am
post #9 of 10

I agree.. No news is good news! I never do a follow up call/email. Usually they email me if they are pleased. But not always! Don't stress over it. Remember this is a business and you may not always get feedback.

CanadianCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakeDiva Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:03pm
post #10 of 10

I wouldnt read too much into it either. You could call her and say that youve been having trouble with your email and you just wanted to see how everything went. Or, you could leave it be and follow the "no news is good news". I think if she had serious concerns or negative feedback, she would let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%