Dowel Question For Cake Today

Decorating By dreamtreats Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm by mindy1204

dreamtreats Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 10

I am delivering my first wedding cake today. We are doing the assembly at location but my question is....since its not traveling stacked....do we still need dowels? If so how do u get the dowels through the cake boards?

9 replies
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 10

you need 4" (+/-) dowels inside each tier to support the upper tier, but once it's in place and assembled (not going to be moved) you don't need the center dowel that goes all the way thru the cake.

dreamtreats Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 10

thank you for helping. this is what i was thinking. i was thinking the bottom layer would be nothing but mush with the weight of the top 2 layers. heres to hoping everyone likes the first ever wedding cake. i am very new to this - just started a few months ago and have a long way to go after seeing some others work, but i love doing this.

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtreats

thank you for helping. this is what i was thinking. i was thinking the bottom layer would be nothing but mush with the weight of the top 2 layers.

Not with the 4" dowels in there .... the upper cakes weight is supported by these wooden or plastic dowels ... not by the cake itself.

You'll be fine! thumbs_up.gif

disney16 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 10

Can I pop in with a question? When using plastic dowels or straws do you need to use a cake plate inbetween each tier? And if you using the straws so do you make them go thru the plate?

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 10

I use just cardboards. I used to use plates, also but stopped doing that when I began doing more D&R's (drop-n-run's). Unless the plastic plate has a pre-drilled hole in the center, you can't put a center dowel down thru the cake.

kellymarie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 10

I thought I'd add in a little link with a visual if that helps you icon_smile.gif I use the thicker lollipop/cookie sticks from wilton/michaels and have never had an issue. Just make sure you measure one in the deepest part of the cake (sometimes one side/corner is a little higher...) and cut the rest to match that one.

Hope this helps- you've gotten great advice so far!!

http://zoebakes.com/?p=800

costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 10

I just heard from a venue coordiantor about a four-tiered cake that had to be cut early because there were no dowels in it and it was collapsing. Yes, dowel that cake.

disney16 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10

Oops I meant to say cardboards not cake plates. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I can use the straws to support each layer but I will not be able to use one to go thru the entire cake since they( the straws) won't go thru a cake board.

mindy1204 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 10

You use straws under each tier, but you use a sharpened wooden dowel down the center of all the tiers to keep it stable during transport.

If it is a 3 tier cake you have straws in the bottom 2 tiers only and then the down all the way thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%