Using Brown Sugar As Sand Will It Melt?

Decorating By cakesmade4u Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 6:19am by caymancake

cakesmade4u Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #1 of 12

i'M using brown sugar as a sand i want to put it in the fridge so it will be ready in the morning & it will be on top of a fondant base will it melt with the moisture? TIA

11 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 12

If you have a lot of moisture in your fridge, yes, it will collect water and go syrupy. Also, if it's very humid when you take the cake out of the fridge, as the water in the air collects on the cold cake (like condensation on a cold can of soda), some of the sugar will go syrupy.

You may want to wait to apply it to the cake when the cake is going to stay at room temp and out of the fridge.

madgeowens Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:24am
post #3 of 12

They use it all the time for sand on cake boss........personally I like vanilla waffer cookies that I grind up in blender until its fine like sand love it

kger Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:32am
post #4 of 12

I did a sand castle cake and experimented with a couple of different things. I found the brown sugar got all clumpy because it was so moist. I preferred graham cracker crumbs because I could buy them already finely ground. The nilla wafers in the food processer couldn't get ground finely enough for me.

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 12

I also prefer ground up graham cracker crumbs. I sprinkle some brown sugar in it for flavor, and also use sparkling gold sugar for sparkle.

madgeowens Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 12

Actually thats right I use the big food processor.....

bakencake Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 12

also, if you made too many sugar cookies you could just grind up the extra and use those

cownsj Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 12

We used ground up Nilla wafers and the texture came out perfect, and we loved the color too. I remember someone else saying they did a mix of the Nilla wafers and graham cracker crumbs because it gave two slightly different colors and the shading was great. We'll probably try that next time. Also, if you wanted a pink sand castle, or any other color for that matter, you could probably make sugar cookies that you added food coloring too, then grind them in the food processor. Haven't tried it, but I don't see why it would't work.

I wouldn't want to do all brown sugar just because the flavor would be too strong and not pleasing. I hadn't thought about it melting before reading here, so that would be another reason not to use it.

madgeowens Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 12

I used vanilla waffers once and added cocoa powder to it to get the dirt for my baseball field too....and the cookies with bc is sooooooooo yummy icon_smile.gif

PrivateNameHere Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 12

I used graham crackers smashed up. For dirt, I use chocolate chips ground up in a coffee grinder. YUM!

cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:31am
post #11 of 12

I love the idea of crushing the chocolate chips for dirt. I'll definitely have to remember that.

caymancake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:19am
post #12 of 12

I have used both crushed up graham crackers and brown sugar and both have worked well for me. The key to the brown sugar is using demerara sugar or sugar in the raw - you want one that has really coarse grains...if you use the fine textured brown sugar it will melt. Just in case, I would wait until right until you get to your location to add the sand. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%