I'm Seriously Considering Buying...

Decorating By FlyGirl08 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm by tiggy2

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:41am
post #1 of 23

....Cricut Cake this weekend since Michael's has them on sale. thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif Are they really worth the money? icon_eek.gif Is it as easy to use as it looks? icon_surprised.gif I would really appreciate your thoughts!

22 replies
Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #2 of 23

I just bought mine today at Michaelsicon_smile.gif I watched the dvd that comes with it and read all the info and it seems like it is. I know there have been some posts about people having trouble. It says in all the info that I read on the Cricut website that it is important to roll the gumpaste thin enough. I'm trying mine tomorrow and can't wait.

FlyGirl08 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:12am
post #3 of 23

Thanks! Can you only use gumpaste? No fondant cutouts?

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:04am
post #4 of 23

You can use fondant on the cricut. I struggled with mine tbh and as it got really hot and sticky here (not normal for the UK I know lol) I have left it for a while before I try again. I got some ok results but not as neat as I would have liked however I have ordered some sugarveil and am going to try that with it icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:00am
post #5 of 23

If you don't have an Agbay leveler, I'd buy that first. It's the best thing (cake wise) that I have ever spent money on. One serious tool, I have no regrets.

I've heard so many bad reviews, and only a few good reviews (usually after much frustration) about the Cricut, it's now way low on my list of wants.

wpowell4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wpowell4 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:51am
post #6 of 23

I LOVE my Cricut Cake!!!!!!!!! You have to roll it out thin enough to cut and it has to go in the freezer before and after it is cut (I live in Texas HHHHOOOTTT!!!) It works well with gumpaste and fondant if they are not soft. I love this because I don't have to fool around with all those cutters (letter and numbers uuugh) and I can get them bigger. I saw alot of those reviews and I was not going to buy it either but I am glad I did !

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #7 of 23

I hate my Cricut. Big, expensive paperweight.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 23

I lvoe mine. At first it took me a few weeks to just get the hang of it but since it has worked beautifully. At first I went with fondant and Wilton gumpaste, but found making my own gumpaste worked much better. The kind made with egg whites and gum. I roll it thin and place it in the freezer a while. Also, make sure your blade is clean each time. Good luck and have fun.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 23
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 23

Do not buy it UNTIL you have read everything on CC about the problems and successes with the cricut. I love mine and I have good days and bad days. But it has a real learning curve and there is the issue of how the fondant, gumpaste, etc works for you. It's a food product you are cutting - there is no absolute correct way for cutting with the cricut. What works for me might not work for you.

Don't let Provocraft fool you...it is not as easy as 1, 2, 3 and instant five star cake! And if you have watched any of the HSN when they are selling the cricut, you can see that it always doesn't work 100% for them as well (although they just keep on going and don't mention that the product pulled a little or had some rough edges.

Would I buy one now? Yes, I would buy the Cake Cricut, but I already had my Cricut Expression for 2 years before this idea came out and that's what I still use. But I don't use it for every cake because not every cake requires cutouts, etc.

I think that until you have really researched all the pro's and con's of the subject that you might want to save your money until you can make a more educated purchase. Now, having said all that, please remember that this is MY opinion But I have a strict rule that I don't purchase anything over $50 without reasearch and anything over $100.00 without some serious research. When you look at all the accessories that you NEED in order to work with this successfully, it's more than buying the actual machine itself icon_wink.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 23

It's just not consistant enough for me, when I don't need it to work it does and when I do NEED it it doesn't. Go figure.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 23

As stated above, there is a definate learning curve, and what works one day won't work another. It can be frustrating at times! I am still learning with mine, and for now, I do NOT count on it for any cakes I have on the books. I am hoping to be able to figure it out so that when I do want to use it, I will be able to without issues.

Just dont' expect to be spot on with it right out of the box!

FlyGirl08 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 23

WOW!!!! I really appreciate all of your comments! I've made my decision!!! icon_biggrin.gif

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 23

I got one but I'm very new to cake decorating and I have serious issues with writing on a cake. I did go to a Cricut demonstration which helped a lot and you really do have to get the gumpaste or fondant as thin as you physically can. I also have carpal tunnel/arthritis in my hands and my hands and arms would hurt for days after completing a cake. Now I can let the cricut do all of my cutting and writing.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 23

I was also thinkig about buying one after this post I think I might look into it a little more icon_wink.gif thanks everyone!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalovescake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGirl08

.... Cake this weekend since Michael's has them on sale. thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif Are they really worth the money? icon_eek.gif Is it as easy to use as it looks? icon_surprised.gif I would really appreciate your thoughts!

t

Check out the threads about the Silhouette. It is less money and you can do things with the Silhouette that you can't do with a .

Follow the link I posted on page 1 of this thread if you really want to be informed and make a smart choice. You will spend less money and have everything you need with the Silhouette (if purchsed from Linda).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #17 of 23

My "Cant Live Without" big purchase has been my airbrush.

No Agbay here, no Cricut either...and RIP to my edible image printer.

FlyGirl08 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 23

I love you all for your responses! I am soooooo glad I asked for your opinions! My bank account thanks you as well icon_smile.gif

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #19 of 23

I tried mine for the first time today and I absolutely love it. It is important to follow the directions and make sure the blade is clean each time though. I am still working on my practice cake I am making just becauseicon_smile.gif Also there is speed/tension knobs that need to be checked to make sure you are giving it enough pressure. Overall I think it is a pretty cool little machineicon_smile.gif As they say practice, practice. practiceicon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #20 of 23

I had a brief moment when I wanted one, and it passed. I'm waiting--too many horror stories for me.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:58am
post #21 of 23

good luck with yours, I bought mine at Costco in May and I had to return it, did not work for me

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:08am
post #22 of 23

LOOOOOVE my cricut cake!! Would buy it again in a second! (Definitely love my Agbay more, though icon_smile.gif). I use Wilton fondant with Wilton gumtex (I wanted to *play* with the machine without spending too much money, just so happened to be a perfect mix!), let it set for maybe a minute or two- no freezer, no gumpaste, etc, and it cuts beautifully every time.

I also have a silhouette, and, while I love that everything is online and it's definitely cheaper in the longrun, it's just not great for cakes, IMO. The layering is harder for me and I don't always want to be tethered to my laptop. Also, the machine is A LOT smaller, and I cut anywhere near as much or as big. The Silhouette is definitely a paperweight for me.

I also have an Expression, but I've never used it for gumpaste- crafting only. I LOVE that the cartridges are interchangeable!! I use it to make coordinating tags for my packaged cookies, and it's great!

tiggy2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear1979

Even though the Silhouette is lightweight, it can do some heavy duty cutting. I have never needed to cut anything bigger then the 6 inches my Create allows me to cut so I did not see that as a drawback of using a Silhouette.
I love that you can get just the images you want for so cheap online and use your own images with ease as well.
Whatever you get, or Silhouette, it will be fun and worth the money.

What she said!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%