7.30.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm by meharding

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #31 of 52

icon_sad.gif i'm ashamed...I tortured myself with DC cupcakes tonight too. I was yelling at the TV going "YOU IDIOTS! WHY DID YOU MIX THE BATTERS!?" than I had to turn it off icon_lol.gif but kept going back.

nooo cakes this weekend! but in a couple weeks I will be VERY busy! icon_lol.gif

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #32 of 52

I know what I NEED to be working on but I'm sitting on my duff watching I Survived. I need to work on my sugar flowers, particularly calla lillies since I bought the former set. My DH is working and i'm not taking advantage of this free time to experiment with icing flavors. Bought some flavors from Kitchen Krafts and some liqueurs from the grocery store. (Sighs) I need some motivation. I'll just stick to my normal excuse: I'll get moving once the butter gets to room temperature! LOL

midnight_society Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midnight_society Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #33 of 52

Just got done working on my "trial run" cake. I ordered the SPS from GlobalSugarArt on Tuesday, got it Thursday! Amazing customer service, btw.

I am doing a wedding cake for a neighbor on August 8th and heard SO many wonderful things about the SPS (thank you, leah_s!) I thought I'd give it a shot.

Trial cake will be for family, friends, and anyone that wants any! Three tiered stacked 6, 8, 10, same as for the wedding cake. Cakes are iced on their boards ready for the big day tomorrow when I will try out this amazing system. DH made me a box to fit it in and checked to make sure we had a level spot in our vehicle. We are going to do the actual route tomorrow to see how it works.

This is only my second wedding cake so wish me luck! Will post results and pics after my experiment. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #34 of 52

Okay, so I just set my DVR to tune to DC cupcakes in a few minutes. I've never seen it, but after all this, I absolutely must see what all they talk is about icon_smile.gif

Obviously, I have a light night!! Delivered three cakes today and have a hella busy week next week and the week after!!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #35 of 52

Please disregard above post by midnight_society, I logged in as my DD by mistake! Reposting under MY name. sorry for the double post.

Just got done working on my "trial run" cake. I ordered the SPS from GlobalSugarArt on Tuesday, got it Thursday! Amazing customer service, btw.

I am doing a wedding cake for a neighbor on August 8th and heard SO many wonderful things about the SPS (thank you, leah_s!) I thought I'd give it a shot.

Trial cake will be for family, friends, and anyone that wants any! Three tiered stacked 6, 8, 10, same as for the wedding cake. Cakes are iced on their boards ready for the big day tomorrow when I will try out this amazing system. DH made me a box to fit it in and checked to make sure we had a level spot in our vehicle. We are going to do the actual route tomorrow to see how it works.

This is only my second wedding cake so wish me luck! Will post results and pics after my experiment. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

Just finished a Wedding Cake for tomorrow and posted pic. Made 25- 6" center piece cakes to match, groom's cake delivered tonight. I am tired and going to bed, night all!

Cake looks great too!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #37 of 52

I do hope that everyone loves SPS. I obviously do!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:56am
post #38 of 52

Meringue powder, huh? I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Cake plans on hold for the rest of the evening. We have a cat with a tremor, possibly seizures. We have to log them so the vet can try to figure out what's going on. This one was (no kidding) 15 minutes intermittant trembling. I shot video so hopefully that will help figure it out. In the meantime, I'm cat sitting instead of cake planning.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:09am
post #39 of 52

OMG!! DC Cupcakes... SERIOUSLY?!?!

Train wreck is putting it mildly!!! Could this be any more staged??

And yet, I'm not turning it off. I think that says something about my own mental state...

I do like the police caps and donuts- I think I'll make some of those for a cop friend icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #40 of 52

I am working on a guitar cake, though I seem to be doing more avoiding than doing....

Stephanie

jkutschka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkutschka Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:21am
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

ARGH!! It's like watching a train wreck. You just can't look away.

The DC girls just had something in their oven on fire. As in flames shooting out of the oven.

They are #@&^% stupid.

Haha, the best part is they started a fire at the fire station..go figure!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:42am
post #42 of 52

Just unpacked my brand new Cuisinart 7Qt Mixer! It's like Christmas! I'm making some cookies on Sunday then I have 2 cakes for Saturday. I wasn't planning on the 2 cakes but I bake for charities and they really asked me for 4 cakes and I had to turn them down and say I could only do 2. My husband thinks I overcommit so I'm trying to train them to ask more in advance.

Still waiting to take the final Wilton course on gumpaste. They keep cancelling it due to lack of people (need 4 minimum). Well, the local cake supply place gave me another place to go and said I could call her for private lessons. I guess I could do that but I like talking to other people too.

I was hoping DC would be better this week. Actually, they have some good flavors and recipes. Their ingredients are interesting - also use good quality Valhrona and Callebaut. It's too bad how they come off on the show.

And my husband wants some of that Key Lime Pie - that's his favorite leah!
icon_smile.gif

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:43am
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

There are a number of DIY tutorials online for making your own "light box". You can make a frame from PVC pipe that holds muslin draping. If you light it from the top of side w/the high intensity lamps the fabic acts as a soft filter.

HTH
Kristy

Just was trying to answer kycakediva when she asked what I learned. Thank you for the tip though Kristy, I actually did see the tutorials on light boxes and my DH and I built one... however my photographer friend (30+ years as a photographer) said that the umbrella would work better and be easier to pull out/ put up. I also just finished hanging a photographers seemless background from the ceiling in here. Used pvc pipe, plant hooks, eye hooks and some chain. it rolls up/stays on the ceiling when I need it I pull it out and then when I get an umbrella just open it up and bam turn the lights on and I'm good to go. The light box is cool too but draping a sheet over pvc over my cake is a step I could stand to skip.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #44 of 52

I just found DC Cupcakes LOL! I will say, I thought the foamcore fire engine base was a great idea as well as the double stick tape usage (I'm awaiting the outcome on the double stick tape.)

Most of my orders were for today. Left me with only 1 for tomorrow...4 dozen cupcakes.

TapsTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TapsTreats Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #45 of 52

Hi - I am looking at this Wonder Mold and Mini Wonder Mold wondering how I a going to carve it to look like a Razoback.I have saved several in the galleries so hopefully I can come close to one of those. This cake is going to be donated to a fundraiser for the family of a little boy that died a few months ago. I am also going to make golf scene cake. I have to figure out how to do the shaft...

Key Lime pie sounds delightful and refreshing in this horid humidity icon_smile.gif

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:23am
post #46 of 52

I'm working on a wedding cake trio...6-8-10 stacked side cakes and 6-8-10-12 floating tiers Brides centerpiece cake. This is the first time I have used the SPS system. I hope I read up enough on it! Seems fairly somple. Also made a triple chocolate ganache grooms cake with a chocolate deer on top.

Sue

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 6:49am
post #47 of 52

Guess I'm the only one still up icon_smile.gif Just finished 6 pound cakes in bundt pans - vanilla and lemon, 3 of each. 2 plain, 2 glazed and 2 decorated. And baked a carrot cake for Sunday. I am give out! Working full time and doing cakes sometimes takes everything I've got. But I'm pleased with how it all came out. The pound cakes are for my Uncle and Aunt who are celebrating their 60th wedding anniverary tomorrow. Aunt loves just plain pound cake, so decided to make one vanilla and one lemon. Then added 2 more to have one of each glazed, and then another Aunt says don't forget one with icing for those with a sweet tooth - so 2 more decorated. Sort of a desert bar with variations of pound cake icon_smile.gif Seems that when they got married they didn't have any money and have no photos of the wedding (and I'm not sure they had a cake). So I wanted to give them something special. This is my gift to them. I'll post photos tomorrow. Right now relaxing for a few and then finally off to bed to see if I can get some sleep before 5 yr old granddaughter wakes up at the crack of dawn...night all icon_smile.gif

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:03am
post #48 of 52

Nope, I'm up too...must be a NC thing!

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

And today is DH's birthday. I made a rum cake and a Key Lime pie,only I had to use regular/Persian limes 'cause key limes were not available.

Key Lime pie is my hubbies favorite as well!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #50 of 52

Cheatize if you put some cream of tartar in your egg whites they will not weep when you cook them on top of your pie. My MIL makes fantastic banana pudding and that is her secret to beautiful meringue.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm
post #51 of 52

Cream of tartar? I have some of that I can try, if only I had an excuse to make pies. LOL
I'll jot a note: use meringue powder of cream of tartar. How much cream of tartar?

Wishing easy deliveries for everyone today!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #52 of 52

1 - 2 teaspoons in 6 egg whites will work fine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%