Help, Friut Cake Recipe!

Baking By katies_cakes Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 8:34am by Cakechick123

katies_cakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a wedding cake and the groom wants the base tier to be traditional fruit cake. the base is to be 14". however, my fruit cake recipe is for an 8" and iv never done it bigger. i can manage the quantity but im worried about the baking time. an 8" is 2 3/4hours. any ideas for a 14"? also my fruit cakes are always thinner than my sponge, i have told the bride this but im still worried that it may make the cake look odd?

TIA katie

6 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:33am
post #2 of 7

I have double my recipe with great sucess, a 14" should bake about 3 1/2 hours, but I test every 10 min after 3 hours. A flowernail used as a heating core really works

I would place a thick cake drum under the cake and then ice it as part of the cake, this should take care of your height problem.

katies_cakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 10:20am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much! i love the cake board idea for the added height and will definatley bieng doing that! thank you again!

auzzi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:36am
post #4 of 7

8-inch round is scaled up by a factor of 3 [not 2] to a 14-inch round

Baking time should be 6-7 hours, not 3 1/2 hours ..

Cakechick123 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 7

just because you multiply the ingerdients does not mean you multiply the time it take to bake. I have bake many 12 & 14" fruit cakes and they have never taken more that 3.5 hours with couple of flowernails in place.

auzzi Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #6 of 7

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/img/recipes/wedding_grid.jpg

12" round is the largest .. on this common chart .. 14" round = 6-7 hours

Cakechick123 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:34am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/img/recipes/wedding_grid.jpg

12" round is the largest .. on this common chart .. 14" round = 6-7 hours

thanks for that link, I like the way they have set out the different sizes icon_biggrin.gif

it must be an altitude thing, because my 6" never bakes for more than 1.5 hours and my 12" never more than 3 (with some flower nail in place)
at what temp do you bake the cake for 6 hours?
mine starts at 180deg c and then drops every 45min by 10 deg

also the recipe are very different from mine, my 9" round only takes 2 eggs where this resipe takes 4 but then mine takes 4 cups of flour where this one only has 2. and as I've said before my temp is 180 deg.

I think that fruit cake recipes are so vastly different that you cant say the original posters time is definitely going to be 6 hours. I worked from the base that my 8" cakes takes about the same amount of time as hers so mine is just a suggested time.

Also i did tell her to test the cake every 10 min icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%