Client Wants To Inspect Cake

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm by Apti

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:20am
post #31 of 148

I have asked someone to go along with me on the delivery as it'll only be me and 3 or 4 of them. thanks for all your support and guidance. If you like, I'll let you know the ending.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #32 of 148

Sorry but where is the line drawn for 'artistic licence'?

I get we can't duplicate every scroll or exact colour however when the bride gives you a picture of what she wants and then you are

Quote:
Quote:

changing the flowers and not including the pearl beads around the cake. I'm mixing up the shape of the tiers too. I will put white ribbon around the tiers.

will the bride really be happy with all those changes?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:28am
post #33 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummycakes

Sorry but where is the line drawn for 'artistic licence'?

I get we can't duplicate every scroll or exact colour however when the bride gives you a picture of what she wants and then you are

Quote:
Quote:

changing the flowers and not including the pearl beads around the cake. I'm mixing up the shape of the tiers too. I will put white ribbon around the tiers.

will the bride really be happy with all those changes?

That caught my eye, too. I order a round cake with yellow daisies with a yellow ribbon and beads, but I get a round/square cake with pink roses and a white ribbon w/o beads. I wouldn't view that as artistic license. I'd say I got the wrong cake.

However, we don't knwo what the conversation was or what specifically was agreed to, so I'll give the benefit to the baker.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #34 of 148

I think that if the mini cuppies were different sizes due to different size liners, and different color liners, that the bride might have reason for concern and since it is her wedding day, that it's not too much to ask to see the cake - JMO. If the changes you made significantly change the style of the cake then as Indy said she might think she didn't get the cake she wanted, and more cause for concern. I think you should let her see the cake or take photos and send them to her.

I've done wedding cakes and know that when something happens that I need to make some minor changes, I always talk to the Bride or the MOB to explain the reason needed for the changes and what those changes would be.

Back to the cuppies...think of it like this: if the cuppies are favors and some people get one size and other people get the other size, are the recipients of the smaller ones going to be insulted that they didn't get one of the bigger ones?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #35 of 148

If the cuppies are 2 different sizes, that would throw off the packaging. That could throw a bride into a tizzy. However, I don't think the OP said they are 2 different sizes.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #36 of 148

I probably would have sent a picture of the final product just to ease the bride mind.. I have been a bride just like a lot of us adn know how stressful it is so... JMO

I would definitely like to know how it all turns out and would really like to see a pic of your final product! Good luck icon_smile.gif

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #37 of 148

Another great lesson in "get it in writing." Everything. No exceptions. Make it poster size if necessary, with stars and circles where they try to argue specific points. icon_wink.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #38 of 148

How did things go with the cake? I *think* you said the wedding was today. Hopefully all is well!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #39 of 148

do we need to get a jump on the bail money?? Post pic.. tell us what happened!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #40 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If the cuppies are 2 different sizes, that would throw off the packaging. That could throw a bride into a tizzy. However, I don't think the OP said they are 2 different sizes.

Op said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

Thank goodness both cake and cupcakes are paid in full. After much insistence, I gave them a really good price for the cupcakes. BTW, cupcakes are to go into the favor boxes. The cupcake wrappers I picked up, size didn't match. As well, half of the bunch had silver liners and the other plain. I thought that since they were favors it would be ok. My decision was probably a bad one. Now I am freaking out. What if they don't like the cake or have criticisms when I deliver it tomorrow?

I think the size difference in the cuppies would make the Bride start to wonder about her cake. BTW, what ever happened? Wasn't the wedding today?

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #41 of 148

No word from OP...so who's calling jails? LOL

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #42 of 148

Pattycakes55d - I hope it went well for you today. I'm sure your cake was beautiful!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:35am
post #43 of 148

I took the wrappers being 2 different sizes as the minis were made and then placed inside another wrapper. So part of them were in the correct size and part were not, but they were all minis. I dunno. icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:13am
post #44 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

do we need to get a jump on the bail money?? Post pic.. tell us what happened!!

I'm with tesso and Bskinne, what happened? Do we all need to show up with our pointy-toed shoes? I'm hoping that no news is good news.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:15am
post #45 of 148
Quote:

There's really not much to change actually - I'm changing the flowers and not including the pearl beads around the cake. I'm mixing up the shape of the tiers too. I will put white ribbon around the tiers. There's not much you can change as it's a standard cake but I think it's enough not to cause any problems with the artist. I went with my gut and have not agreed to have the cake inspected. They wanted to see it tonight. The wedding is tomorrow. I was very calm and reassured the coordinator their cake would look beautiful. I put the coordinator on notice that the cake will not look exactly as the pic and they cannot expect it to. It's in the contract and what we all agreed. I like the idea of forwarding a pic of the finished cake to them.

As indydeby stated above....if she asked for one thing then why change things?

Maybe this is worded wrong or this is what you and the bride decided on icon_redface.gif please explain.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:41am
post #46 of 148

Well I am really wanting to know what happened too. As well as pictures.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:43am
post #47 of 148

waiting for follow up..... this is like watching a great movie and the power going out 10 minutes before its over...*LOL*

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:46am
post #48 of 148

me too...I hope it went well!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #49 of 148

I'm waiting too! I'd love to see a picture of the finished cake and to know what the Bride had to say. I'm hoping it all went well.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #50 of 148

I think we all are going to stay in suspense forever!!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #51 of 148

Hope all went well.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #52 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Op said:
Quote:

Thank goodness both cake and cupcakes are paid in full. After much insistence, I gave them a really good price for the cupcakes. BTW, cupcakes are to go into the favor boxes. The cupcake wrappers I picked up, size didn't match. As well, half of the bunch had silver liners and the other plain. I thought that since they were favors it would be ok. My decision was probably a bad one. Now I am freaking out. What if they don't like the cake or have criticisms when I deliver it tomorrow?

I think the size difference in the cuppies would make the Bride start to wonder about her cake. BTW, what ever happened? Wasn't the wedding today?

Ptanyer, I interpreted it differently. I took the OP's description to mean that the *wrappers* (decorative, cut paper that wraps around baked & decorated cupcakes) didn't fit the cupcakes. The liners (accordian pleated cups that hold the batter as it's being baked) were two different types: foil and paper. If the wrappers had been the correct size, all the cupcakes would have looked alike because the liners would have been covered.

Of course, I could have misunderstood or misinterpreted.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #53 of 148

Pattycakes55d, I hope you've recovered from the trauma.

I'd have dreaded walking into a room of already-stressed wedding party members who were waiting to "inspect" my cake. Sounds like they may have been loaded-for-bear and the wedding planner didn't help the matter. To me, the planner should have calmed the bride, rather than primed her for a confrontation.

Glad I wasn't in your shoes--it would take more than a few margaritas to make me feel better! Now might be the time to pull out all the lovely thank-yous and compliments you've received for your cakes in the past.

At least it's behind you!

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #54 of 148

I am also wanting to know what happened. Hopefully all went well.. Hope to see pictures. icon_smile.gif

abayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abayes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #55 of 148

Well i hope all went well !

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #56 of 148

The suspense is KILLING me!!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:23am
post #57 of 148

i sent her a pm asking her to post what happened.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #58 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

do we need to get a jump on the bail money??

ya don't think do ya?

hmmmm....the silence has been long!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:46am
post #59 of 148

oooo, I can't stand it. I keep checking and checking and no word. Hoping it just means she is catching up on sleep she likely lost over the worry.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #60 of 148

NO! She wouldn't. She couldn't. I mean you don't really think...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%