Stanley Cup Or Silver Frosting

Decorating By bkrgrl Updated 20 Jan 2007 , 2:27am by SweetResults

bkrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkrgrl Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever made a stanley cup cake or made a cake with silver frosting? I could use some helpful hints and pics!
Thanks

5 replies
Ditter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ditter Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

I saw a picture of a stanly cup, cake in the gallery under sport's cakes. I don't remember who made it though but if you make a search it wouldn't be too hard to find. HTH

Mickey

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 6

The tips I got when I asked the same question was to use navy blue and black coloring. It worked.

bkrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkrgrl Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 6

What is the easiest way to do the cake part?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 12:56am
post #5 of 6

I haven't made a Stanley Cup, although there was a lot of discussion about it here in Dallas in 1999 when the Stars won the Stanley Cup. Gee... I can't remember who they beat.... hmmmm.... gosh.... do you remember? icon_twisted.gif

I've used silver highlighter dust mixed with grain alcohol in my airbrush to apply silver over a large area. I tinted my buttercream gray first so any missed spots or cracks in the icing wouldn't be obvious.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:27am
post #6 of 6

I did one for my son's undefeated hockey team last year, he was 8 at the time - you can see it in my photos - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_79558.html

I used the Betty Crocker Bake N Fill for the top - just use a very firm cake for this part, it was not the sturdiest part of the cake, but the shape was great.

I tinted the fondant grey first, then lustered it.

Due to non-cake related circumstances I was having a rotten day and was really rushed when doing this cake. Plus the edible images of the kids I had done at the grocery store did not all come out nice and clear. That's what made me break down and buy my own printer! So I think if I did it again I could make it much better, fewer wrinkles in the fondant, level, all sorts of things I see wrong. But the kids loved it - so that's what really mattered. BTW the pictures of all the kids on the cup was my son's idea icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%