Can Anyone Help?

Decorating By prettycakeoxford Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm by Caths_Cakes

prettycakeoxford Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to recreate the tiara and top tier of this cake

http://doodle-cakes.com/2010/03/abigails-princess-cake/

I would be grateful for any tips on how to make the tiara and get the diamond finish on the cushion.

Thanking you all in advance!

Samantha

[/img]

10 replies
msulli10 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 11

That looks like gumpaste painted with luster dust. You should make a template and lay the gumpaste over the template to dry. I think there is a tutorial on here as to how to make a tiara - it might be out of royal icing though. You can always look on You tube for tutorials.

MyDiwa Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11

Here is a link to a thread where Loucinda described how she makes her tiaras out of gumpaste:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6611311-.html#6611311

I'm assuming since you didn't ask about it, that you are ok with the pillow part. There is a tutorial on here under articles on how to do it in case you don't. As for the diamonds, it looks like what she's done is once her pillow is covered in fondant and while it's still soft, she used a flexible ruler or tape measure to draw the lines of the quilt in the size she wanted. Then painted the diamonds in pink and pearl luster dust dissolved in lemon essence or vodka. In between the diamond pieces are pearl dragees.

That's how I would do it. Maybe someone else has a different way and can give you something else to play around with.

Good luck!

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 11

The description on the pictures states, "Entire cake is lustered by airbrush shimmer."

prettycakeoxford Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not so nervous about the making the tiara now, but I still worry about getting those diamonds looking equal. I once did a quilted effect cake and being the perfectionist I could just see discrepancies, although everyone else couldn't!
Yes I think I'll be fine carving the cake into a pillow shape, I have a book somewhere which describes it too so hopefully between that and the tutorial I should be fine.
I don't have an airbrush but I have seen aerosol spray lustres, has anyone any experience of using them?

Many Thanks !
x

Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 11

Manthy, Im from the Uk to, I have used some of the sprays, I would suggest you buy A tin NOW and practise with it, Just to make sure you have the right kind of colour and shine you want from it, As well as practising with it to make sure you get the coverage right, i had a bit of trouble with when i first 'pressed' the button that i would get a deeper spray, but after a little while i managed to get a good covering icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 11

The PME brand sprays are quite good.

prettycakeoxford Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks Cath I'll take your advice and have a practice!
(p.s I used to live in Sunderland when I was a student!! Fond memories!!)
xx

linstead Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 11

another idea is to make the tiara out of gumpaste by piping ropes out of a clay gun and then forming and glueing the sections together with some gum glue over a curved form. One dry you can paint with luster dust - I made a tiara once this way and it worked fine. Just do it ahead of time and make two in case of breakage.

linstead Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 11

oops- sorry for the repeated suggestion - just saw the other suggestion above about making it out of GP! should read before I type..... icon_redface.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthy

Thanks Cath I'll take your advice and have a practice!
(p.s I used to live in Sunderland when I was a student!! Fond memories!!)
xx

Excellent! The best city in the north east if you ask me lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%