What Is The Best Icing For Piping?

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:34am by indydebi

mustangsallii Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 9

What is best for piping scrolls onto fondant? I have a tried and true buttercream for icing, but I don't know if its the best option for piping.

8 replies
Peanut1027 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 9

I would try royal icing.

Unlimited Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

I pipe with thinned buttercream. I don't use royal icing for anything except in cases where I need it to dry rock hard.

DeezTreatz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 9

My class taught me to pipe with thin buttercream and to add a little piping gel!
I think it works well!

mustangsallii Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a recipe for royal icing and it worked great!

Kaylani Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 9

For all the buttercream pipers, have you had it bleed? I switched to royal for piping becuase the buttercream bled on the fondant the next day. Anyone else? icon_confused.gif

dnack Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 9

I've had dark colors bleed with buttercream. Was gng to try royal next time also.

mustangsallii Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:21am
post #8 of 9

I've had the bleeding issue with dark buttercreams as well. There was no bleeding at all with the royal. Very happy with the results.

indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:34am
post #9 of 9

I use the same icing for piping as I do for icing. Only when I'm doing the lace pattern do I thin it .... arthristis in my hands .... otherwise it's just the same icing. No bleeding problems, it all lays well. I just prefer not to take time to make multiple kinds of icing for one cake, especially when the one I've got works great. I don't use Royal for anything cake. Never had a need to. One of the keys to non-bleeding is to make sure you're not putting wet icing on wet icing. My icing crust very well, so I never have that issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%