What Is The Best Icing For Piping?

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:34am by indydebi

mustangsallii  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 9

What is best for piping scrolls onto fondant? I have a tried and true buttercream for icing, but I don't know if its the best option for piping.

8 replies
 Peanut1027  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 9

I would try royal icing.

Unlimited  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

I pipe with thinned buttercream. I don't use royal icing for anything except in cases where I need it to dry rock hard.

DeezTreatz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 9

My class taught me to pipe with thin buttercream and to add a little piping gel!
I think it works well!

mustangsallii Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a recipe for royal icing and it worked great!

Kaylani  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 9

For all the buttercream pipers, have you had it bleed? I switched to royal for piping becuase the buttercream bled on the fondant the next day. Anyone else? icon_confused.gif

dnack  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnack Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 9

I've had dark colors bleed with buttercream. Was gng to try royal next time also.

mustangsallii Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:21am
post #8 of 9

I've had the bleeding issue with dark buttercreams as well. There was no bleeding at all with the royal. Very happy with the results.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:34am
post #9 of 9

I use the same icing for piping as I do for icing. Only when I'm doing the lace pattern do I thin it .... arthristis in my hands .... otherwise it's just the same icing. No bleeding problems, it all lays well. I just prefer not to take time to make multiple kinds of icing for one cake, especially when the one I've got works great. I don't use Royal for anything cake. Never had a need to. One of the keys to non-bleeding is to make sure you're not putting wet icing on wet icing. My icing crust very well, so I never have that issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%