Question On Cake & Mouse Filling

Decorating By iris219 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm by iris219

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I am making a strawberry & chocolate cake both with strawberry mousse filling and wanted to cover it in ganache then in buttercream. My question is can I leave the cake out since I'm covering the cake in ganache and then buttercream, even though the filling is a mousse filling?

5 replies
sunny2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunny2 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 6

Things are to be stored at the temperature which the most perishable ingredient requires. In this case the mousse is the most perishable ingredient and most likely should be stored refrigerated. Therefore the cake should be stored refrigerated.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

Why do you want to use ganache AND buttercream - they are both either used alone or as a layer under fondant? I would think that it would be a very rich, sickly combination together icon_confused.gif . In any event, mousse should always be kept in the fridge, or it will spoil/collapse.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 6

what is in your mousse? To make most of my mousse filling, I use preserves and then mix with some buttercream, never had a problem with that sitting out for a while... If you buy some of those fillings, they are room temp safe as well..

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 6

If your mousse contains whipping cream then you need to refrigerate. I have let mousse filled cakes sit out during an even for around five hours with no problems but indoor events only. I would not leave it out overnight. If you want to make a mousse that doesn't need refrigeration then sub Bettercreme or Frostin pride in place of the whipping cream.

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info, but decided to go with the raspberry sleeve filling instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%