I only want to make a few gems..Can I microwave the isomalt carefully and then add the color etc..
throw a little in there and experiment .... see how it turns out and let us know!
I'm not sure I'd recommend that. I don't know that I'd want to use the microwave to get the temperature back up easily enough (though i guess if your microwave has some kind of thermometer to use it would work). You CAN use the microwave to soften teh sugar so you can start pulling it again, but that doesn't require nearly the heat that totally re-melting it requires. You'll need the sugar to be over 200 to add the color I believe.
Hmmm.Interesting...Thanks dcHockeyguy as I have noticed you have answered a few posts on isomalt.
Havent tried it yet. Hot sugar really scares me and intrigues me at the same time.
Guess if I had a really good dvd or book I may try it.
I doubt you could control the temp needed with the microwave.. but I am all about experimenting!! GO for it !! and tell us how it works.
You can microwave any amount of isomalt that you need.
You can microwave it without adding water or with water. Without water, it's a bit harder to pull and can be brittle for thin things, but it melts faster and clearer, so it can be very nice for gems.
Ideally, use a brand new, clean heavy duty glass measuring cup. If you use water, distilled water is nice because there won't be any minerals in it to discolor your gems.
As with any hot sugar/isomalt, you must be very careful with it. You can check the temp once it's melted. If it goes too long, it will burn and go amber on you, so you have to watch it, just like you would if you did it on the stove.
I've done this in classes and on my own, so I know that it works just fine.
Thanks Rae...That is what I wanted to know!!!I jsut love this place for all the knowledge and willing to share
Now...does it have to be the right temp (candy hardening )or can I just use it when it melts...Won't it harden anyway once cooled.
Roughly about how long...My microwaves cooks hot so I guess not too long...
You need to heat it to at least 320-330 degreesF. I have no idea how long it will take. It depends on the microwave, the humidity of the day, etc.
If it's not heated to good temp, it won't hold it's shape.
This is wonderful info for stove cooking and you can adapt it to work for microwaved isomalt, too.
Thanks for the link!! I'm going read it!!
Now i have been doing a lot of reading on the topic lately, i have not used to the product but i just purchased some for the windows in a gingerbread house and i want i want to do some experimenting. many people have advised me to get a very clear isomalt that will not get cloudy use 1/2 cup isomalt and 2tbs on light corn syrup. place in a pyrex and microwave for 30 seconds. after that only microwave for 12 seconds at a time. it will come together but gently stir with a cookie stick to make sure.
This a lot of people said this technique works and i am going to try it out soon.
one question. from what i can see my sigline is not popping up. can someone help me with this. I have the url to my blog typed into the area "website" am i doing something wrong ?
How long do I leave the candy to cool before I attempt to pop them out of the mold? I read somewhere that I lightly spray the molds first with Pam...I'm not worried about amber isomalt as I intend to color them gem colors like green,red etc...If the remainder starts to get hard how do I reheat it?
Thanks so much for the help!!
you can keep the isomalt at a good workable temp in the oven, just keep the oven on 265 and it will keep the isomalt ready to use for a while. Also make sure no stirring with metal or wood. only cookie stick.
I have also read a lot that pam will not give a good finish on your product. the molds should release.
hope i can help
check out the blog
Hey great..You finally got it to work..I'll check it out....so I shouldn't spray the mold?What type of finish will it give?
Great blog..A dancer hey....Love it!! Can I dance with you...LOL
Well if you spray the mold there will be very very small little dots of oil, and it can leave a residue on the gems and the most expensive gems are flawless rite?
and can you believe it ! i got the sig line to work, that was the hardest task of the gingerbread process thus far for sure !!!!!!!
and to the other user you can dance instead of me if you like ! the house is taking up a lot of time
Well..I tried microwaving 1/2 cup Isomalt and 2 tbsp of corn syrup...It didn't take long at all to start bubbling and become very hot...as I burnt my finger touching it....anyway I poured the hot sugar into one of the wilton silicone muffin cups and filled my mold that way.You have to work fast as it hardens quickly...The gems are good but the only thing is you can see the specks of isomalt that didn't melt in the gem but good enough for what I needed it for this week.Next time I will boil it on the stove when I have a bigger batch to make.You will have to store the excess in the oven while you work or it hardens way to fast and I ended up throwing out quite a it...I was afraid if I melted it longer it would start to burn but I guess You might have have to so it will get rid of all the specks.
At least I tried and it does work...LOL
Isomalt is re-usable over and over.
I don't understand putting corn syrup in it.. That's not part of ANY Isomalt recipe. Adding water to it makes it more flexible, but adding another sugar to it undoubtedly threw it way off.............I suspect that is why it "boiled" quickly and before all of the Isomalt was fully melted.
If melted to the proper temp that I noted in an earlier post, isomalt will stay liquid and pourable for at least 5-10 mins. depending on the ambient temp of the room and the surface you set it on. You can extend that time by putting the remainder on a hot plate, in a hot oven, etc.
I read a recipe where you can add the corn syrup but next time I will just use distilled water.
is re-usable over and over.
I don't understand putting corn syrup in it.. That's not part of ANY recipe. Adding water to it makes it more flexible, but adding another sugar to it undoubtedly threw it way off.............I suspect that is why it "boiled" quickly and before all of the was fully melted.
If melted to the proper temp that I noted in an earlier post, will stay liquid and pourable for at least 5-10 mins. depending on the ambient temp of the room and the surface you set it on. You can extend that time by putting the remainder on a hot plate, in a hot oven, etc.
would you mind sharing your recipe with me? My recipe calls for corn syrup and creme of tartar. I have made jewels with it and they come out fabulous. but I am always anxious to try other recipes. The recipe I have will NOT work in the microwave. And I can definintely see the highlights in that.
The recipe I found was 1/2 cup Isomalt and 2 tbsp of corn syrup...
I've added cream of tartar to a cooked SUGAR recipe for pulled sugar, but never to Isomalt.
kiddicakes, did you use the 30 second and then 12 second technique?
Yes..I just kinda watched it and when it started to bubble..I stirred it with a cookie stick...