Help With This Ribbon Please

Decorating By pish Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 4:29am by carrywilsonhome

pish Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 11

I have a bride wanting this cake and I'm having a bit of trouble figureing out how the pattern on the ribbon is done. The described it as fondant impressed with a grid but I can't figure out where to find, how to do it so that I get the "lattice" look. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

10 replies
missmikey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe it is that plastic stuff that people used to run yarn through so it kinda of looked like needlepoint or counted cross stitch. kwim?

carrywilsonhome Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 11

Ron Ben Israel made that, so I would start by checking sources known to him, even his staff. They are really helpful.

Rusti Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

This may be sugarveil lace. though I can't tell for sure from the picture.

They have a lace mat that you spread the sugar veil across and it drys to a very pretty lace.

nidachi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 11

I saw on a cake show a few weeks ago how they used styrene light panels (can be found at Home Depot or Lowes) to make a pattern on the fondant similar to the look on this cake. I checked Home Depot website and its about $6 for a large piece. Styrene light panels are the plastic covers for the light fixtures on ceilings.[/img]

deMuralist Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

What if you rolled the fondant on a mesh screen? Like maybe one of those screens that you use to keep fried foods from splattering?

Briarview Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:39am
post #7 of 11

Yes they are panels that cover the long fluorescent tubes. I have used this for sides of the cake. It would be done flat first of all and then adhered to the cake. I got mine from a broken one.

pish Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! On my way to experiment icon_biggrin.gif

calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 11

It says that Martha Stewart made it. Did Ben make it as well?

carrywilsonhome Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 11

LOL @ Martha Stewart making it. But no, really, she did not make it. That is a classic RBI>

carrywilsonhome Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #11 of 11

But really, I missed where it said MS made it? The S watermark at bottom is for her website, but she did not make that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%