Need Adice Now... Masonite Board And Fondant

Decorating By michgowell Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm by ohayr639

michgowell Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hi ladies,

I just covered a masonite board in fondant (not sure if that will even work well) It pretty much looks perfect, but I am wondering if I should try to wet the fondant underneath where it comes down the sides of the board. Like I said, it looks perfect right now so I don't want to mess with it, unless wetting it will make it stick to the board and be more solid... Please help quickly... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

5 replies
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

I usually wet the board with a little water before applying the fondant. However, gravity is on your side. It shouldn't go anywhere.

michgowell Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

the board holds up to the additional moister? I didn't cover my board in anything before the fondant. Is that what you usually do in addition to dampening it? I wasn't sure if it would get little welts or buckles in the board itself.

thanks for your reply!

Elaine2581 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 6

I always cover my boards with Wilton foil first then use a little piping getl and then the fondant. This way you can easily remove it all and reuse the masonite boards. But yours should be fine the way it is, especially if you don't plan to reuse the board for another cake.

tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

I usually cover my boards in contact paper or something. Masonite usually has one side that is somewhat sealed anyway. I'm sure you will be fine. I agree with elaine, if you cover first with foil/contact paper/etc. it is easier to clean and re-use the board.

ohayr639 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 6

I tried using fondant but my edges kept breaking (any ideas?!).

So I went to Party City and bought the plastic table cloths and use that to cover my boards. It is cheap and looks nice. I just make sure there is icing under the cake so it doesn't slide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%