Panic - Buttercream Question Fast

Lounge By itsmyparty68 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm by DianeLM

itsmyparty68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmyparty68 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone ever used plain shortening in stead of Vegetable Oil shortening and is it ok to use plain shortening for buttercream?

11 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 12

plain shortening IS vegetable shortening. What do you think it is? icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 12

ditto.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 12

Well to be fair to the OP, there is lard or other shortenings that do have meat products in them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 12

Agree, but I was always of the understanding that lard is lard and shortening is shortening.

Broccoli is broccoli and green beans are green beans. Just because they are the same color, doesn't make them the same vegetable.

DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 12

TS, I thought of that too, briefly. But I've never heard lard called shortening or vice versa. Could be a new one for me!

ETA: I'm anxious to find out what kind/brand of shortening doesn't list what it's made from. icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 12

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Shortening-42-oz/10451501

Here is a think for GV Shortening that says: Prepared From Meat Fats & Vegetable Oils With Mono- And Diglycerides Added; BHA, Propyl Gallate & Citric Acid Added To Help Protect Flavor. U.S. Inspected And Passed By Department Of Agriculture.

Label says 'shortening' not lard on it. Now the all vegetable ones do say that on their labels, but if you were just told all shortening is alike and see that, you may pick it up not knowing it does infact have meat products in it.

DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 12

Great info! Thanks!

At first I thought that it would be okay to use for buttercream, but now that I think more about it, I wonder if it needs to be cooked because of the meat products in it. I'm gonna have to look at that link again...

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Shortening-42-oz/10451501

Here is a think for GV Shortening that says: Prepared From Meat Fats & Vegetable Oils With Mono- And Diglycerides Added; BHA, Propyl Gallate & Citric Acid Added To Help Protect Flavor. U.S. Inspected And Passed By Department Of Agriculture.

Label says 'shortening' not lard on it. Now the all vegetable ones do say that on their labels, but if you were just told all shortening is alike and see that, you may pick it up not knowing it does infact have meat products in it.

I was just going to say that myself. It confused me and I've been caking for quite some time. I avoided confusion and grabbed Crisco instead. lol

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 12

The others do say "All Vegetable" on the front of the label. So I would say if you saw one with out that check the ingredients to see if it has meat something or other in it.

itsmyparty68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmyparty68 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 12

There is a difference with GV brand. There is a shortening and then there is an all vegetable shortening! Trust me I found out there is a difference, the shortening did not break down and cream like the All Vegetable shortening did. I'm hoping DianeLM that you don't think I'm stupid because I asked for anyone's advice on this. I'm a beginner and I kind of got the feeling you were laughing at me for asking my question. One day, for fun, icon_surprised.gif you should read both types ingredients and see there is a difference between the two. I only wanted to know if it made a difference in the texture of the finished buttercream.

DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12

itsmyparty - If you continue reading the thread, you'll see that TexasSugar gave me an education in shortening. I erroneously assumed all shortening is all vegetable.

I don't think you're stupid and never did. I don't laugh at people who ask for help. I would advise, however, in the future, read the entire thread before replying to the first response. icon_smile.gif

I hope you get the answers you're looking for. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Seems that several of us were ignorant of the different types of shortening.

BTW, it was me who alerted you to the responses in this thread. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%