Help! Tacky Fondant!

Decorating By dianab Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm by catlharper

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a bottle cake. I made the bottle with fondant and let it dry. I then painted it with gel colors mixed with a little bit of vodka. I did this last night. It is tacky this morning. Party is tomorrow. Will it dry? If not how do I get it to not be tacky? Is there something I can cover it with that will dry hard and clear? HELP PLEASE!!! Oh, i also put the bottle in the oven with the oven light on hoping this will dry it out.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not positive, but heat and humidity would effect it's drying ability. I would place it in front of a fan not inside an oven with the light on. The Vodka have evaporated quickly. On the other hand, I just reread where you mixed it with gel colors. I've only used powdered colors when painting with Vodka. Gels are too gooey for me. Perhaps someone that works with gels will be able to offer more sound advice. In the meantime, I would place it in front of a soft fan. HTH

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 4

The gel colors will take longer to dry. If you used more color than vodka in your paint mixture, it might stay tacky for a long time. As long as it's only tacky and not running, I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't touch it. It doesn't have to be dry for the party. In terms of helping the drying process, I agree with annie. Put it in front of a fan. Or in front of an A/C which would blow de-humidified air on it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 4

It should dry with no problem. Chances are you had too much color with the vodka so it will take a bit longer to dry. I had this happen when I painted my tv cake...the black rabbit ears took a couple of days to dry. I paint all the time with gell colors and vodka...one coats dry more quickly than dark ones and light colors don't need as many coats as dark ones do so they dry faster.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%