Black Fondant

Baking By MissSuper Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm by attackofthecakes

MissSuper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSuper Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:30am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know how to avoid getting your fondant all mushy? When I colored my fondant black to try and see what consistency I would get it turned all soft. I had to apply a lot of black to get the color I want. I do not mind applying a lot. However, are any tips/suggestions to avoid the fondant from getting soft? That is apart from applying brown or using chocolate fondant first (which I do not want to use)

9 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:54am
post #2 of 10

My only suggestion would be to add tylose powder. Other than that, my favorite 'black' fondant is now Duff's. It is a true black and I love the smell and taste! And since it's already black, there is no issue of the bitter taste from too much dye. I hope Duff comes out with more colors and I will bite the bullet, with a coupon, and buy his now!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:57am
post #3 of 10

If you need a solution straight away, I would keep adding powdered sugar to the fondant until you get it to the consistency that you need.

If not, powdered colours are great, or buy pre-coloured black fondant, which saves a LOT of time.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 10

I have to agree...my fav black right now is Duffs. Now having said that, when I got it out of the tub it was soft so I kneaded in more PS to firm it up a bit and that worked great.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

you can switch to using food coloring powder instead.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 10

GLOBAL SUGAR ART is having a 25% off all Satin Ice sale. All colours,
including black are offered in this sale. Good time to stock up.
*Duff's fondant is ''Satin Ice'' repackaged.

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

is having a 25% off all sale. All colours,
including black are offered in this sale. Good time to stock up.
*Duff's fondant is '''' repackaged.

Duff's is Fondarific repackaged, although Duff USES Satin Ice in his shop.

Duff's tastes great, but needs PS to firm it up. I have used both Duff's and Satin Ice. For covering a cake, I would choose Duff.. but for cutouts/decorations, I prefer Satin Ice. Duffs is way too soft w/o working in lots of sugar.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 10

First off, I pretty much agree that using pre-colored is the way to go for black. However, if you can't do that, do you have access to chocolate fondant? The dark brown color is MUCh easier to get to black instead of starting with white.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

sometimes i let my fondant out for a little and let it harden up a bit. see if that helps. If it gets too hard i then put a little shortening.

attackofthecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
attackofthecakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 10

also, sometimes you dont need as much black food coloring as you think..it may look grayish if your using powderd sugar, but i find after i apply it and steam it...it turns a nice dark black

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%