Help My Fondant Is Hot Pink I Need Red, And No Airbrush

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm by Chasey

CraveBakery Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:18am
post #1 of 6

and of course my cake is due in 3 hours! What can I do??? my cake is crumb coated chocolate. Help!!!

does ben franklin crafts sell air brush machines?

Should I put a coating of red butter cream on top of chocolate? help!

5 replies
Chasey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 6

Are you completely out of red? It takes a lot! I used an entire jar of Wilton's No Taste Red with a drop of burgundy...after I had already colored my buttercream rose pink to achieve an Elmo red. And my batch of icing was only 3 cups or so. It does darken after sitting of course!

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with fondant! Can you get the red color spray in a can and cover fondant or will that not stick? Do you have to use fondant or can you make a new batch of buttercream and tint that red?

Tiffany0481 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

I am not sure if it too late or not, but if you are not out of red, I would recommend that you make a new batch of fondant and mix your color into your fondant as you are making it. I just had to make red this week and I always make MMF so when I melt the marshmallows I will put the red dye in (I use Americolor). It does take a lot as the last post states, but you will achieve a nice red whether you want bright red or a darker color. Good luck!!

CraveBakery Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 6

I'm completely out of red, so i think I'm going to ben franklin and by the red that's in a multi pack and use that. I'm sure it's going to taste bad, but I don't have any other options. One thing i did notice, it that yet again I'm using to much fondant to cover a cake, i had way to much left over. I feel like if I would have known the right amount to use then I could have gotten the color.

Tiffany0481 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 6

Do you have a walmart in your area? I know my local walmart now carries wilton products, so you may be able to find the wilton no taste red and just make some fondant. If it is a paying customer I would really hate seeing you use the bad tasting fondant. I did see a chart at one point (maybe on the wilton site) that states how much fondant it takes to cover a certain size cake .. it may help to google something like that for the future.

Good luck!!

Chasey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6

Can you get to a Michael's? They have a 40% off coupon this week (or you can use a 50% off coupon from AC Moore's there as well!) and I would suggest buying Duff's red fondant over the Wilton one. Duff's is the Fondarific product at Michael's and is very pliable and the taste is much better than Wilton's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%