Sturdy Cake

Baking By ohayr639 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm by ohayr639

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 6

I have been using the following recipe to doctor cake mixes and my chocolate cakes come out sturdy and dense but my white cakes come out really soft and fluffy and break easily.

What I am saying is I am looking for a more sturdy recipe for white cake if anyone has one. Thanks so much!

1 box cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water
3 eggs
1 tblsp flavor

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

That's the same recipe that I use for my white cakes. What kind of cake mix are you using? You could add a four ounce box of instant vanilla pudding and an extra egg to the batter. That would make it 'sturdier'.
Why are you needing a sturdy cake? For carving or sculpting?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 6

Here's a recipe for a Durable Cake for 3D carving & Wedding cake that another member has posted.
1 DH Yellow or White Cake Mix
4 egg whites
1/2 C. water
1/3 C. Veg. oil
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
You can change out cake mix and pudding flavors.

ohayr639 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

Mamawrobin~ I am not carving (right now anyway! that will come later in my learning process!) but when I tried Leah's trick for helping cakes settle my white cake seemed to be cracking and super sticky so I thought I would just try to find a "sturdier" one. Do you find that your white cake is super sticky using that recipe? Thanks for the suggestions as well!

All4Show~ Thank you for that recipe I will give it a shot!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #5 of 6

[quote="ohayr639"]Mamawrobin~. Do you find that your white cake is super sticky using that recipe? Thanks for the suggestions as well!

No...actually it's the same as kakeladi's "original" WASC recipe and it's the only WASC recipe that I've tried that ISN'T sticky. icon_confused.gif Are you wrapping your cakes in plastic wrap? If so, are you letting them cool completely before wrapping? Sometimes that can cause the tops to be sticky.

ohayr639 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 6

I do wrap them, sometimes I let them cool completely and sometimes I don't. I think I will stick with it and see if I can make it work somehow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%