Bubbles Forming Under Buttercream

Decorating By msauer Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 3:06am by DianeLM

msauer Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

I know this subject has been covered a million times, but I was hoping someone could direct me to a link or two on the site where members have discussed it.

Do you ice your cakes when cold or warm when using buttercream? Does it matter? Pros/cons.

Thanks for your help...I've tried the "search" function about 20 times, but I am not getting any good hits back. icon_cry.gif

Thank you!

5 replies
Sassy74 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 6

I personally ice them at room temp. I don't have any info to share on icing them cold...I've just never done it. I do know that bubbles are sometimes a condensation problem. Never had a bubble under buttercream. I do put my cake in the freezer for about 10 min before covering with fondant, though.

Hopefully someone else will have more info on icing at different temps.

catlharper Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

You want your cake to be at room temp whether you are icing with BC or fondant. This is because your cake will release gas and air as it comes to room temp and under the final heavy icing coat it will have nowhere to go but to try to expand out at one place creating a huge bubble. There is less chance of this if you wait till the crumbcoated cake has come up to room temp. I start with frozen cakes so it takes me about 3 hours of settling and coming to room temp.

Cat

msauer Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your tips...

I've always just used cold cakes from the fridge, filled and crumb coated and stuck them back in and then iced a few hours later...crumb coat is good and crusted by then. I ice it cold and never really have had a problem. I had one cake get bubbles about a month ago (and just now found out about it). I want to avoid it happening again (obviously).

Any one else want to chime in?

Thanks!
Michelle

Krysten3 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

Sorry to butt into your post but what if your filling is parishable and needs to be refridgerated? I made a small cake today that had fresh strawberries and buttercream filling. I crumbcoated and put it in the fridge, then took it out and did the final coat. It developed a small bubble. Would the filling be ok for that long to sit out during the whole crumbcoat-final coat process? I like to let it settle for a good half hour to an hour after the crumbcoat so I thought for sure I shouldn't keep it out.

DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 6

I have way more blowout problems in the summer. And I don't refrigerate! Go figure...

As for your search, you'll have much better luck using Google. Just type in "blowouts cake central" and all the threads on that topic will be listed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%