Need A Little Help With Pans And Sizes!

Decorating By missyt_00 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 11:52am by judyj2

missyt_00 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone!!

I'm making a cake for about 100 people...all buttercream. I don't think I would be so nervous if I was using fondant. Anyway.....I've never used a 3 inch pan before and I've never made a cake for this many people!! So, I had a few questions about layering...and stacking!! I've watched a ton of you tube videos but still have a few questions!

I was thinking of doing 2 tiers...using a 14x3 for the bottom and a 10x3 for the top. So...when I layer it, do I slice in in half? How many servings would a cake this size cover? They are wilton pans and so I looked on the website but I'm getting different feedback from other websites about these pans. Also, does the heating core mess up your cake??

So...then when I stack the cakes, how do you serve them? With the fondant cakes I would just remove each tier but with BC does this mess up the frosting between the tiers?! Do you put cake boards between the tiers?

Sorry if this is too many questions in one post!

2 replies
JanH Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:34am
post #2 of 3

Everything you ever wanted to know about making tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

judyj2 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:52am
post #3 of 3

I just have a personal observation about 3 inch pans. I find it takes forever for a cake to bake in one and mine always dry out. I usually split my batter and make the cakes in two layers. This allows me to have a good 4 inch high tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%