Is It Just Me, But Is Food Network Unfair To Cake Decorators

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm by BrightDelights

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

There are so many competitions on Food Network that give $10K to the winner. Most of the competitors don't have to bring anything but themselves. The cake challenges are getting larger and more complicated. The extreme cakes add a lot of expense. I'm guessing that the contestants are given some money to cover expenses, but I still think the prize should be a lot larger.

For example: Chopped winners get 10 grand and all they need us provided. Even with time constraints they are not working 10 or more hours (extra hours for cake work area to be set up and later repacked).

The winner of Worst Cooks got $25,000. How is it fair to give so much for some, especially with limited talent? Cake decorators have to be bakers, artists, engineers, and architects.

I know there's nothing I can do about it, I just wanted to vent.

Michele

6 replies
Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

If I'm not mistaken, the competitors are required to bring their own supplies and equipment. I was at a cake competition earlier this year and was fortunate enough to meet several of the FN
Cake Challenge contestants. One of them said they are reimbursed a certain $$ amount for thier supplies, travel, etc. but they are required to bring all of their own stuff. If you listen closely to some of the competitors, you can hear them say "I forgot to bring......" or "I didn't bring the spare......".

I'm with you on upping the ante. As much as they go through, I think it needs to be a little higher. They put a great deal of time and effort into their designs.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 7

I agree. They should up the ante. Michele when are we going to see you on one of these shows? Your work is awesome and I L-O-V-E your fondant recipe. thumbs_up.gif It's all I ever use!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 7

My guess is they are doing it more to have the bragging rights to say I went, I competed, I won, over the actual money. If it was just about the money I don't think many would really do it. I think if you have a business then it can be a marketing tool for you, since it is advertisement. Plus I'm sure there are ways to write off part of what they spend for the challenges.

Look at Mike from Mike's Amazing Cakes, he now has some DVD's and does classes because of his talent being seen on the show. So maybe it did cost him some money at the time, but isn't it making him money now?

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

Just wanted to let you all know that you can ask these types of questions directly to Cake Artist and Food Network Challenge Judge Kerry Vincent on her Fantourage page. She is great at replying to questions and posts and will even comment on your cake if you upload a photo.

Here's the link:
http://www.fantourage.com/fz/10462/kerry_vincent

Hope you'll join us over there!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 7

I always wonder how much they give their assistants. Many times the featured decorator and the assistant are actually partners.

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 7

Also wanted to note that Kerry gives away a pair of tickets to the Oklahoma Sugar Arts Show each month to the top poster on her page.

http://www.fantourage.com/fz/10462/kerry_vincent

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%