Seashells

Decorating By sebrina Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm by gscout73

sebrina Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #1 of 20

Anyone know a website that would sell realistic looking candy seashells? icon_confused.gif

19 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 20

Here's one for gumpaste ones, I don't know of any that do sugar or chocolate.

http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/detail.aspx?ID=425

gscout73 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 20

Are you looking to resell or buy?

Sandy

sebrina Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:06am
post #4 of 20

I'm looking to buy. They are for a wedding cake for a friend. I'll check out the link. Ans I would welcome any others. Thanks so much!

UpAt2am Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:20am
post #5 of 20

i find them extremely easy to make yourself. if you have a hobby lobby or michaels near you, they sell the seashell chocolate mold. i then buy the white and light brown chocolate melts, melt them sep. and then swirl them together. pour them in a piping bag and pipe ito the mold. let harden for 15 minutes and voila...chocolate seashells! cheap and easy to do icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 20

I make my own too, and sooooo much cheaper! I buy my shell molds from a local specialty cake store, they have a much better selection than Michael's type stores.

If you don't have one in your area you can find the molds online. They are only a couple of bucks each, and then you have them forever and can make seashells in any color that they sell candy melts or chocolate.

http://www.wineandcake.com/

sebrina Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 20

Ooookkkkkk icon_razz.gif I'll give it a shot & try to make them myself. LOL! Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advise!!!

Sugar-Coated Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #8 of 20

I just made some using silicone molds from First Impressions that I got from GSA. I lustre dusted them once they were dry. They were SUPER easy to make; you should try them.
LL

sebrina Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-Coated

I just made some using silicone molds from First Impressions that I got from . I lustre dusted them once they were dry. They were SUPER easy to make; you should try them.

Those turned out great! Are they fondant or chocolate?

lovenintheoven Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 20

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1714005

this is an ocean themed sharlk cake i did for one of my kid's grad party. the shells are gumpaste, as i like to make them as thin as the real ones are, so GP dries harder than fondant, and rolls thinner. painted with petal and luster dust. good luck!

Sugar-Coated Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 20

They're made from fondant. icon_smile.gif Super easy!!

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #12 of 20

Here are my fondant shells. Roll the fondant thin and press into the molds dusted with cornstarch. After sitting a while, gently tip over, tap out the shel and lightly rest back in the mold to set a little while longer. Then they can be set out to finish drying. Fondant shells turn out so much like real shells.

Sandy
LL
LL

menie03 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #13 of 20

OMG! WOW, you're fondant shells are beautiful!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Laurieg Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 20

I live at the beach. I make my own molds from real shells. I like a product from Clay Ally called Ally Goop. It is a food safe silicone molding material. It sets quickly and is very idiot friendly. Shells can be cast of chocolate , fondant or gumpaste.

menie03 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 20

I want to make these!! I'm a beginner where should I start? icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by menie03

I want to make these!! I'm a beginner where should I start? icon_smile.gif

1-molds
2-dust colors
3-fondant/gumpaste
4-cornstarch (to prevent sticking in molds and also absorbs moisture-helps drying)

Sandy

kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #17 of 20

I've made them out of chocolate and assorted dusts--they were so realistic people asked twice if they really could eat them. I brushed a thin coating of chocolate inside the mold.. some chipped on the edges just like real shells do. Try it, they're really not hard at all.

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #18 of 20

That's exactly what I experience. People are affraid to eat them. I've even been criticized for putting real shells on cakes.... sheesh.. cake muggles...

Sandy

kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:43am
post #19 of 20

No fear here--they dove right in after I assured them no teeth would be broken! It's a compliment when they find them so realistic! Keep an extra few on site and if someone is critical because they think they're real, pick one up and take a bite!

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Keep an extra few on site and if someone is critical because they think they're real, pick one up and take a bite!

That's exactly what I had to do to get them to realze they weren't real.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%