Seashells

Decorating By sebrina Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm by gscout73

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #1 of 20

Anyone know a website that would sell realistic looking candy seashells? icon_confused.gif

19 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 20

Here's one for gumpaste ones, I don't know of any that do sugar or chocolate.

http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/detail.aspx?ID=425

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 20

Are you looking to resell or buy?

Sandy

sebrina Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:06am
post #4 of 20

I'm looking to buy. They are for a wedding cake for a friend. I'll check out the link. Ans I would welcome any others. Thanks so much!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:20am
post #5 of 20

i find them extremely easy to make yourself. if you have a hobby lobby or michaels near you, they sell the seashell chocolate mold. i then buy the white and light brown chocolate melts, melt them sep. and then swirl them together. pour them in a piping bag and pipe ito the mold. let harden for 15 minutes and voila...chocolate seashells! cheap and easy to do icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 20

I make my own too, and sooooo much cheaper! I buy my shell molds from a local specialty cake store, they have a much better selection than Michael's type stores.

If you don't have one in your area you can find the molds online. They are only a couple of bucks each, and then you have them forever and can make seashells in any color that they sell candy melts or chocolate.

http://www.wineandcake.com/

sebrina Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 20

Ooookkkkkk icon_razz.gif I'll give it a shot & try to make them myself. LOL! Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advise!!!

Sugar-Coated Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar-Coated Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #8 of 20

I just made some using silicone molds from First Impressions that I got from GSA. I lustre dusted them once they were dry. They were SUPER easy to make; you should try them.
LL

sebrina Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-Coated

I just made some using silicone molds from First Impressions that I got from . I lustre dusted them once they were dry. They were SUPER easy to make; you should try them.

Those turned out great! Are they fondant or chocolate?

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 20

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1714005

this is an ocean themed sharlk cake i did for one of my kid's grad party. the shells are gumpaste, as i like to make them as thin as the real ones are, so GP dries harder than fondant, and rolls thinner. painted with petal and luster dust. good luck!

Sugar-Coated Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar-Coated Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 20

They're made from fondant. icon_smile.gif Super easy!!

gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #12 of 20

Here are my fondant shells. Roll the fondant thin and press into the molds dusted with cornstarch. After sitting a while, gently tip over, tap out the shel and lightly rest back in the mold to set a little while longer. Then they can be set out to finish drying. Fondant shells turn out so much like real shells.

Sandy
LL
LL

menie03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menie03 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #13 of 20

OMG! WOW, you're fondant shells are beautiful!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Laurieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurieg Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 20

I live at the beach. I make my own molds from real shells. I like a product from Clay Ally called Ally Goop. It is a food safe silicone molding material. It sets quickly and is very idiot friendly. Shells can be cast of chocolate , fondant or gumpaste.

menie03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menie03 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 20

I want to make these!! I'm a beginner where should I start? icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by menie03

I want to make these!! I'm a beginner where should I start? icon_smile.gif

1-molds
2-dust colors
3-fondant/gumpaste
4-cornstarch (to prevent sticking in molds and also absorbs moisture-helps drying)

Sandy

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #17 of 20

I've made them out of chocolate and assorted dusts--they were so realistic people asked twice if they really could eat them. I brushed a thin coating of chocolate inside the mold.. some chipped on the edges just like real shells do. Try it, they're really not hard at all.

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #18 of 20

That's exactly what I experience. People are affraid to eat them. I've even been criticized for putting real shells on cakes.... sheesh.. cake muggles...

Sandy

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:43am
post #19 of 20

No fear here--they dove right in after I assured them no teeth would be broken! It's a compliment when they find them so realistic! Keep an extra few on site and if someone is critical because they think they're real, pick one up and take a bite!

gscout73 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Keep an extra few on site and if someone is critical because they think they're real, pick one up and take a bite!

That's exactly what I had to do to get them to realze they weren't real.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%