Cake Used For Sculpted Or 3D Cakes

Decorating By 2gr8kdz Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm by 2gr8kdz

2gr8kdz Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 8

When making sculpted or 3 dimensional cakes, what is the best kind of cake to use and why?
I am finding that regular cake mix cakes are far too crumbly and tend to crack. I'd love to have some recipes for your favorite cake for sculpting, please share!
Happy Cake Making!
Cristen icon_smile.gif

7 replies
emiyeric Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 8

I sculpt a lot and ADORE the WASC. I swear by it icon_smile.gif.

tracycakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 8

I use my normal recipes, I just probably won't do Italian Cream or Carrot Cake because of the texture. I've carved WASC, Chocolate, even strawberry.

kelleyskreations Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #5 of 8

I just tried 2 new recipes today in a search to find a good cake that is easy to sculpt icon_smile.gif They both turned out really yummy. Very dense and great for carving.

I used the cake boss recipe that I found on an older thread for vanilla cake:
HIS IS THE ACTUAL CAKE BOSS RECIPE. i didn't see one with cream cheese. hope it helps!

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step!

2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.

4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.

5. Pour into two greased and floured 8" round cake pans.

6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.

Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.

And for chocolate I made this chocolate Pound cake recipe:

I think the key for me is to find a pound cake or similiar that still tastes really yummy icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 8

That's my recipe. I'm very glad you like it. icon_smile.gif

tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 8

I too use the wasc. You're right about the cake mixes. They are too crumbly for sculpting.

I'll have to try the recipe above. I would love to have an all scratch recipe that works as well as the wasc.

2gr8kdz Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%